Guide to an American odyssey of music

The summer road trip to a music festival is a modern-day rite of passage. Nothing says brimming adulthood like a car full of intoxicants and a busted-up tent. Your parents had Woodstock, but you have nine festivals at your disposal. The following guide will help you decide where to chart your course.

Summer Camp Music Festival

Where: Chillicothe, Ill.; 150 miles from Chicago

When: May 28 – 30

Price: 3-day pass is $170, includes camping on festival grounds

Who: Umphrey’s McGee, Gov’t Mule, G Love & Special Sauce, Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa, Victor Wooten, Rebelution, Rev Payton’s Big Damn Band and others.

Why you should go: Because you absolutely love folk, funk and psychedelic music. Expect long, woozy jam sessions and an unforgettable performance from the greatest bass player of the last 20 years, Victor Wooten.

Movement Electronic Music Festival

Where: Detroit, Mich.

When: May 29 – 31

Price: 3-day pass is $50

Who: A-Trak, Cassy, Ida Engberg, Josh Wink, Kid Sister, DJ Sneak, Magda and others.

Why you should go: Because you want to attend a three-day rave and think your adrenal glands can handle such pressure. Despite economic problems in the past, Movement celebrates its 10th anniversary this year with a robust selection of electronic musicians.

Sasquatch! Music Festival

Where: Quincy, Wash., at The Gorge; 150 miles from Seattle

When: May 29 – 31

Price: 3-day pass is $210, camping pass is $99

Who: My Morning Jacket, The National, Deadmau5, Vampire Weekend, The Hold Steady, Massive Attack, Pavement, LCD Soundsystem, Public Enemy, The xx, MGMT, Ween and others.

Why you should go: Because The Gorge is quite possibly the most beautiful music venue in North America. Located above the Columbia River Gorge, the amphitheatre is surrounded by Northwest beauty of no equal. Oh, and the musical lineup isn’t too

bad either.

Wakarusa Music and Camping Festival

Where: Ozark, Ark.; 120 miles from Little Rock

When: June 3 – 6

Price: 4-day pass is $159, camping pass is $79

Who: Widespread Panic, STS9, Umphrey’s McGee, The Black Keys, John Butler Trio, Dweezil Zappa plays Zappa, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, The Machine (performing Pink Floyd) and others.

Why you should go: Because you want to see some of the most impressive live acts of this generation. Widespread Panic and STS9 are festival legends and the tickets are too cheap to pass up. Pro: The festival also has free yoga lessons and a lake to swim in. Con: You are in Arkansas.

Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival

Where: Manchester, Tenn.; 60 miles from Nashville

When: June 10 – 13

Price: 4-day pass is $250 and includes camping

Who: Dave Matthews Band, Kings of Leon, Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z, Conan O’Brien, The Flaming Lips performing “”Dark Side of the Moon”” featuring Stardeath and White Dwarfs, LCD Soundsystem, Damien Marley & Nas, The National, Against Me!, Clutch, The Black Keys, Jeff Beck, She & Him and others.

Why you should go: Did you not read that lineup? Beg, borrow and steal your way to Tennessee for the best lineup of the summer. As if seeing Stevie Wonder live isn’t enough incentive, The Flaming Lips — one of rock music’s most original live acts — are performing Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety.

Health & Harmony Music and Arts Festival

Where: Santa Rosa, Calif.; 50 miles from San Francisco

When: June 11 – 13

Price: $120 for the whole weekend, $150 for the weekend plus camping

Who: Lauryn Hill, Steel Pulse, Galactic, Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa, Rebelution, The Expendables, Fishbone, Beats Antique, Delhi 2 Dublin and others.

Why you should go: Because it is the one summer festival that actively promotes a greater sense of musical living. With a techno-tribal rally, an eco village and wellness sanctuary, Harmony 2010 furthers the festival’s pursuit of a stronger ecological and unified lifestyle through music.

Camp Bisco

Where: Mariaville, N.Y.; 25 miles from Albany

When: July 15 – 17

How much: 3-day pass is $155

Who: The Disco Biscuits, LCD Soundsystem, Girl Talk, Major Lazer, Diplo, Wu Massacre, Holy Fuck, The Album Leaf, Caribou, Pretty Lights and others.

Why you should go: Because you want variety in your electronic music. Not to diminish the artists at Movement Electronic, but they are all cut from the same computer-generated cloth. Camp Bisco revels in a more eclectic group of electronic artists. Not sure what Wu Massacre is doing in the mix, so don’t miss them.

Pitchfork Music Festival

Where: Chicago, Ill.

When: July 16 – 18

Price: $40 per day

Who: Modest Mouse, LCD Soundsystem, Pavement, Raekwon, Broken Social Scene, Liars, Beach House, Surfer Blood, Titus Andronicus, Panda Bear, jj and others.

Why you should go: Because you’re an elitist and read Pitchfork, so their favorite bands are, in fact, your favorite bands. Snarkiness aside, this is one of the best

indie rock festivals in the world and takes place in an urban city, so you can sleep in a real bed and shower if that sort of thing matters to you.

Lollapalooza

Where: Chicago, Ill.

When: Aug. 6 – 8

Price: 3-day pass is $210

Who: Soundgarden, Green Day, Lady Gaga, Arcade Fire, The Strokes, Phoenix, 2ManyDJs, MGMT, Jimmy Cliff, Spoon, Grizzly Bear, Yeasayer, Frightened Rabbit, Minus The Bear, Cymbals Eat Guitars, Frank Turner and others.

Why you should go: Because you couldn’t get to Bonnaroo and must settle for the second-best lineup of the summer. What Lollapalooza lacks in diversity, it more than makes up for in consistent talent. This year’s lineup has collected the hottest visionaries of experimental rock music and bands ready to break into superstardom (see: Phoenix). Lady Gaga’s outfit is worth the ticket price alone.