Police Beat: February 7

Library hijinks

An intoxicated UA student was arrested on charges of minor in possession after he was found sleeping on a third floor sofa in the UA Main Library at 4:05 a.m. on Feb. 1.

Library staff contacted the University of Arizona Police Department when they were unable to wake the student. There was vomit on his pants and the floor near him, staff noted.

When police arrived, they were able to wake the man.

The student identified himself with his Texas driver’s license, but couldn’t explain why he was sleeping in the library. UAPD then asked what dorm he lived in and the student responded, “Dallas.”

The student had bloodshot eyes and slurred speech and smelled of alcohol, and he said that he had been drinking at an off-campus party.

An officer escorted the student to the bathroom so he could clean himself up with paper towels before leading him outside to a patrol car.

UAPD gave the student a ride back to his dorm, Villa Del Puente Residence Hall, before citing and releasing him for minor in possession.

Caught tire-handed

Police responded to a bike theft in progress near Coconino Residence Hall at 5:36 a.m. on Feb. 4.
    The caller told police they had seen a woman put bike tires in the back of a blue pickup before heading east on Second Street.

UAPD noticed a blue Ford F-150 pickup while driving to the scene and activated their patrol car lights and stopped the truck. UAPD noticed a bike tire in the pickup bed before identifying the female driver and the male passenger of the car.

The woman said she was delivering newspapers when she noticed the unsecured tire outside of Coconino, so she put it in the back of her truck.
    Police then asked the woman again what had happened.

The tire had been on a bike, but the tire bolt was loose, so she picked it up and put it in her truck, she replied. She doesn’t even own a bike, she added, and taking the object was “stupid.”

No other evidence was found in the car and the owner of the tire is unknown. The item was entered into evidence and the woman was cited and released for theft.

Licking men

Vandalism reading, “Zack S likes to lick men,” was reported at Likins Hall at 2:46 p.m. on Feb 4.

Upon arrival, UAPD met with the community director of the hall, who had found the vandalism on a piece of paper posted on the fourth floor. When police arrived, the paper had already been taken down. The community director sent police a photo of the item.

A student with a similar name was contacted by his resident assistant regarding the incident, but he declined to pursue charges.

There are currently no suspects, but a victims right’s form was completed and a photo of the vandalism was placed into evidence.