Stanley Johnson named finalist for Tisdale Award

Rebecca Noble

Arizona forward Stanley Johnson (5) rejoices after Arizona forward Matt Korcheck’s (31) surprise dunk in the last two minutes of Arizona’s 90-56 win against Oregon at McKale Center on Wednesday.

On Monday the U.S. Basketball Writers Association announced that Arizona men’s basketball forward Stanley Johnson is one of 10 finalists for the 2015 Integris Wayman Tisdale Award.

This is the fourth national award Johnson is in contention for. He’s a candidate for the 2015 Julius Erving Small Forward of the Year Award, on the Naismith Trophy Midseason Top 30 and in the John R. Wooden Award Late Season Top 20.

The Integris Wayman Tisdale Award goes to the best freshman player. Johnson is the only Pac-12 player on the list of the 10 finalists.

Johnson leads the Wildcats in scoring (14.1 per game) and rebounding (6.0) and is first among Pac-12 freshman in scoring and 13th in the league overall.

The Fullerton, Calif. native is one of just two freshman in major conferences averaging at least 14.0 points and 6.0 rebounds per game. Fellow finalist Duke’s Jahlil Okafor is the other.

Johnson is first among freshman and sixth overall in the Pac-12 in steals with 1.5 per game. He has scored in double figures in 24 of his 29 career games and has three double-doubles, including Saturday at Utah.

Johnson leads the Wildcats and is fifth in the nation among freshmen with 158 free throw attempts. He is seventh in school history among Arizona freshmen in free throw attempts.

The winner of the 2015 Integris Wayman Tisdale Awardwill be announced on March 16.