Love by the numbers: The Bachelor and The Bachelorette’s failing records

Didn’t the newest “Bachelorette” already find true love?

Apparently, dating multiple people simultaneously while on national television isn’t an effective way to find true love. This week, ABC announced the newest Bachelorette: Emily Maynard.

Does her name sound familiar? That’s because just last year, Maynard won season 15 of “The Bachelor,” when Southern stud Brad Womack proposed to her in a romantic season finale. Unfortunately, even though the show is clearly designed to form healthy, lasting relationships, the romance didn’t last. Just months after the season aired, the couple broke up.

Ironically, this wasn’t Womack’s first failed attempt at a “Bachelor”-style search for love. In an incestuous and yet wholly expected move by “The Bachelor,” the 38-year-old bar owner had already been on the show in 2007, when he rejected both finalists, DeAnna Pappas and Jenni Croft, and returned home from the TV show still single.

It turns out it’s not exactly a “Bachelor” first to leave the show unmatched — or even to leave the show single twice. In fact, after 15 seasons of “The Bachelor,” none of the couples created by the show are still together. And there are some “Bachelor” statistics that might surprise you:

Love by the numbers

Although five seasons of the Bachelor have ended in proposals, none of them have ended in marriages. The longest relationship ignited by the show lasted for five years.

After seven seasons of “The Bachelorette,” one couple (season 1’s Trista Rehn and Ryan Sutter) is happily married with children — a first and only in “Bachelor” and “Bachelorette” history combined.

The most recent Bachelorette, Ashley Hebert, is still engaged to the man she chose at the end of her season, fiance J.P. Rosenbaum.

Just like Bachelor Brad Womack, season 3 Bachelorette Jennifer Schefft rejected all of her suitors at the end of her run.

Eight contestants have been recycled, moving from “Bachelor” to “Bachelorette” and vice versa.

Two Bachelorettes (Jennifer Schefft and Emily Maynard) were chosen by the Bachelor before breaking up and becoming the next Bachelorette. Brad Womack was the Bachelor more than once, but after both seasons, he ended up alone.

— Miranda Butler is the assistant arts editor. She can be reached at arts@wildcat.arizona.edu or on Twitter via @WildcatArts.