New UA tuition and fees proposal released, Honors College proposes significant program fee increase

Courtesy Dean Kelly

An aerial view of the USS Arizona Mall Memorial on Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2016. 

University of Arizona President Dr. Robert C. Robbins recently proposed tuition changes to the Arizona Board of Regents, maintaining rates for undergraduate guaranteed residents for 2021-2022. 

Below are the proposed changes outlined in the memorandum addressed to the Arizona Board of Regents, the governing board that oversees Arizona’s three public universities. 

• Non-resident undergraduate residents could experience a 1.4% increase in tuition, while non-guaranteed undergraduate tuition could increase by 1.4%. 
  • Graduate resident tuition could also increase by 1.4%, while graduate tuition for non-resident students could increase by 0.7%.
  • Resident tuition for the College of Medicine – Tucson could increase by 3%, and non-resident rates will increase by 1% for first-year students. Second through fourth-year students in the College of Medicine will not see tuition changes for 2021-2022.
  • College of Medicine — Phoenix resident tuition could increase 3% for first through fourth years, while non-resident tuition would increase 1% for first through fourth years. 
  • Both resident and non-resident student tuition for the College of Veterinary Medicine could increase by 2% for 2021-2022, but second-years will not see any tuition increases.

In addition to tuition, the Recreation Center program fee may be adjusted based on the Consumer Price Index and the Arizona Financial Aid Trust Fee may increase if proposed tuition increases are approved. Otherwise, there are no proposed changes to mandatory fees.

“As a reminder, more than 99% of continuing undergraduate students will experience no increase in tuition or mandatory fees for 2021-2022, due to their enrollment in the tuition guarantee program,” Robbins said in the memorandum

Incoming undergraduate students will have their tuition and fees locked in for four consecutive years, while incoming graduate students will be guaranteed the new proposed mandatory fees rate for four consecutive years. 

Some UA colleges have proposed their own fee increases in the memorandum, with the Honors College proposing a $475 fee per semester, a significant increase from the current rate of $250 per semester. 

Both the College of Behavioral Sciences, plus the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences/Norton School of Family and Consumer Sciences/Fashion Industry’s Science and Technology are also proposing new $250 program fees per semester. 

Students and individuals wishing to comment on these proposals will be able to do so via a virtual public hearing, hosted by ABOR Tuesday, April 6 from 3 to 5 p.m. Arizona time. 

On Thursday, April 8, from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., ABOR will host a virtual tuition workshop for the university presidents to publicly present their proposals. 

The Board will not vote on these proposed changes until Thursday, April 15. The meeting will be live-streamed. 

Follow Priya Jandu on Twitter