Arizona women’s basketball hosts BYU

John Routh
John Routh / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA vs. Grand Canyon University Women’s Basketball

The Arizona women’s basketball team will host BYU at the McKale Center today at 11 a.m. for the annual “field trip game” that brings elementary school students from the Tucson area in for the early game.

The Cougars are coming off a successful 2011-12 season in which they finished with a record of 26-7 and earned a 10th seed in the NCAA tournament.

This season, BYU was picked to win the West Coast Conference and has four all-conference players on their roster. However, the Cougars have lost their previous two games and enter Tuesday’s game with a 2-2 record.

BYU returns 10 letterwinners from their 2011-12 squad, including sophomore Lexi Eaton and junior Kim Parker Beeston, both of whom are averaging double figures in points this season.

So far this season the Wildcats have posted a perfect record of 3-0. But last season BYU handed Arizona its first lost of the season with an 82-73 victory in the Hukilau Invitational.

In that matchup, Davellyn Whyte led the team with 19 points, but the Wildcats also suffered 21 turnovers.

Once again this season the Wildcats are led by Whyte, who through three games leads Arizona in points and assists. Along with Whyte, the Wildcats have gotten production on the boards from junior and senior forwards Erica Barnes and Cheshi Poston as they both are averaging just over seven rebounds a game.

Tuesday will be the Wildcats’ final game before they head to the Bahamas and play in the Junkanoo Jam during the holiday weekend.