Hey, Barkeep: No Anchovies

Matthew Trowbridge, a bartender at No Anchovies for nine years, stands outside on the patio.

Matthew Trowbridge
    No Anchovies

Favorite drink to make?
    My favorite drink to make is actually a shot and it’s called crembo. It’s 99 Bananas, 151, a little bit of Malibu, Midori, pineapple and orange juice.

Least favorite drink to make?
    I don’t really have a least favorite drink to make. I generally will make whatever’s out there. Sometimes, when it’s really busy, and people order Bloody Mary’s at nine o’clock at night, it’s kind of a little odd, but it doesn’t really bother me that much. I just do it. I don’t have any drinks I don’t like. Everybody drinks different things for different reasons. Some people like really sweet stuff, so Long Island and Tokyo Tea are perfect for them. Some people don’t like the sweet stuff as much, so they drink the more classic drinks, like old fashioneds or martinis.

How long have you been at No Anchovies?
    Nine years?

In those nine years, can you pinpoint a most memorable customer?
    It’s kind of hard to pinpoint a really memorable customer — except for this one girl that was laying with her head in her boyfriend’s lap … and he picked up a full ranch cup and dumped it into her mouth and she jumped up … like disgusted, and then he just reached behind her head and just started making out with her, they were making out with just ranch running down both their chins and just getting everywhere. That’s an image I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get out of my head.

When you turned 21, did you frequent the bars?
    Oh yeah. I still do. It doesn’t stop being fun after you’re 21, it stays fun.