Arizona walks off in 14 inning marathon

Cecilia Alvarez / The Daily Wildcat Freshman Austin Schnabel (left) and sophomore Nathan Bannister (right) run to celebrate the 8-7 win against Utah Valley on Tuesday. Tyler Krause’s single ended the game.

It took Arizona baseball nine pitchers and five extra innings to win the first game of a two-game series against Utah Valley on Tuesday night.

“It was good win, I thought,” head coach Andy Lopez said. “It was really good to see us battle back after a rough outing by [junior] Mathew Troupe.”

Pinch hitter Tyler Krause got the walk-off hit to end the game in the 14th inning in his first at-bat of the season.

“Luckily I got my shot and see who called me up and I took advantage of a good pitch and I drove it,” Krause said.

Krause said his teammates kept him ready.

“You have to stay with your teammates in the dugout, they keep you up,” Krause said. “It’s definitely harder to be in the dugout than [be] on the field, and you just have to stay focused, and luckily I was focused tonight. It feels great.”

Arizona got off to a slow start defensively and offensively.

Troupe was on the mound the first two innings and allowed six runs in his debut as a starter.
“The hardest thing is, you [have to] find who the right guys are and sometimes that’s painful,” Lopez said.

Troupe had a difficult time getting the last out during the top of the second inning, and sophomore Cody Moffett was called in to relieve him.

Arizona’s defense made a quick turnaround and Moffett recorded four strikeouts by the time the top of the fourth inning came around.

Moffett finished with six strikeouts and allowed two hits on 53 pitches in 4.1 innings before junior Nathan Bannister replaced him.

“I was just trying to hold them down, let our team come back in the game, just throw strikes, that’s all I had to do,” Moffett said. “I think I threw a pretty good slider or cutter today and kept the hitters off-balance.”

Arizona trailed by as many as six runs before coming back.

Sophomore Zach Gibbons got the offense started in the bottom of the fifth, and sophomore Cody Ramer followed.

Gibbons came around in the bottom of the seventh inning to do it again with a sacrifice fly to tie the game 7-7.

“We had a lot of poor at-bats up to that,” Lopez said.

Junior Tyler Parmenter shut the Wolverines down in the top of the ninth inning.

Arizona wasn’t able to score in the bottom of the ninth and the game went to extra innings, when freshman utility player Bobby Dalbec moved from first base to the hill and pitched for Arizona.

Dalbec had a strikeout and allowed one hit and no runs.

Lopez said the offense finished the game strong and looked different from the start of the game.
“It was good to see Krause go deep, good to all of us,” Lopez said.

Arizona will host Utah Valley today at 1 p.m. to wrap up the series and Tyler Crawford will be the starting pitcher.

—Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal