Letter from the Editor: It’s the end of an era, but the Wildcat legacy will live on

Amy Bailey
Jasmine Demers poses for grad photos at the Daily Wildcat on April 26.

When I joined the Wildcat staff as a news reporter in the spring of 2018, I had no idea that less than three months later, I’d be taking over as editor-in-chief. What was supposed to be an opportunity to build my portfolio ended up being the most rewarding experience of my college career.

This year, I’ve worked with some of the most passionate, creative, driven young journalists, who inspired me every day to be a leader they could count on. Being among other students who felt as strongly as I did about the power of journalism was infectious. We built a family around this shared passion and created bonds I’m sure will stand the test of time.

I realized very soon into my tenure as EIC that Arizona Student Media was more than a club or resume builder, it is an institution of knowledge and an invaluable asset to the campus. As a 120-year-old institution, the Daily Wildcat has remained a force to be reckoned with at the University of Arizona. We’ve been a dependable source of information, a watchdog and a consistent entity on an ever-changing campus. 

This is an institution that has produced hundreds of incredibly talented journalists and continues to teach young journalists the importance of truth, accuracy and transparency. So, when we found out Arizona Student Media was being displaced to make room for the the new UA Global Center this semester, our large community of students, staff and alumni came together to make sure the university remembered how valuable we are to this campus. This is a testament to the impact Arizona Student Media has had on every student who had the opportunity to work here. 

As EIC, I’ve also had the opportunity to learn about our campus community, find new ways to reach our audience and ensure everyone in our community feels represented in our publication. So, to our readers, know we are here for you. I know I speak for everyone at the Daily Wildcat when I say thank you for letting us share your incredible stories and for trusting us as your source of information.

As I prepare to graduate and pass the baton to incoming EIC Nicholas Trujillo, I can’t help but feel incredibly emotional about having to leave the place that helped me become the journalist, and the person, I’ve always aspired to be. There are no words to describe how incredibly dedicated the Daily Wildcat staff is and how much I will miss their infectious energy. The Daily Wildcat legacy is yours, my friends. Carry on. 

Follow Jasmine Demers on Twitter