“On the spot: Schyler Orr, pre-marketing sophomore”

What do you want to do after you graduate?

I want to work for a record label, maybe in the A&R department or as a studio engineer.

Nice, so do you work for KAMP radio then?

Yeah, currently I’m the mobile DJ director, but I also just got hired for the general manager position.

Sweet, you excited for that?

Yeah, for sure. It’s a big organization; we have about 120 student DJs plus about 10 years’ worth of alum.

I see your setup here on the mall every week. What’s the deal?

Every Wednesday we have a slot … from noon to 1. Since I’m the mobile DJ director I come out here every week and play some music with other DJs; every week it’s different. Right now we’re playing classic rock, last week it was some Euro techno with a buddy of mine from France and the week before that we played some hard rock. It’s a great chance to give some music that you normally wouldn’t hear some exposure.

Where can people hear KAMP radio other than on the mall?

We’re on 570 AM and we also stream on the Web, at KAMP.arizona.edu. All you have to do is download it and it’ll stream through your iTunes.

Oh wow, that’s pretty awesome. What other cool things can you tell me?

Well, anyone can join KAMP radio; no experience is necessary. If you want to join, all you have to do is go through a quick four-week intern process where for a couple hours a week you spend time with a DJ while they do their show and you learn how to operate the board and then after that you get your own show where you can play whatever kind of music you want.