Players to watch: Arizona at USC

Arizona

Ka’Deem Carey, running back

With limited touches so far this season, Carey has shown flashes of brilliance running the ball. His ability to move his feet combined with his pure athleticism always makes him a threat to break off a big run. Despite not crossing the goal line yet this season, Carey has rushed for 151 yards on 33 attempts. If his blockers are able to create room for him to run, look for him to take advantage this weekend on the road.

Drew Robinson, tight end

The junior college transfer has yet to contribute as far as the Arizona passing game is concerned, but he’s been a formidable body for the Wildcat backs to run behind through the start of the season. A nagging foot injury sidelined Robinson during spring ball, but the coaching staff notices his day-to-day improvement as a part of the Arizona offensive scheme. At the junior college level he was known for his pass catching ability, but he has yet to record a pass on the stat sheet for Arizona. That should change this weekend.

Trevin Wade, cornerback

After a lackluster junior year, Wade has stepped out into the limelight as Arizona’s most dominant defensive back throughout the beginning of this season. His retooled mindset has contributed to seven pass blocks and an interception so far this year. Against USC, Wade will have to maintain his level of play, especially when lined up against the fierce Trojan receiving core.

USC

Robert Woods, wide receiver

As the Trojans’ leading pass catcher, Woods has hauled in 41 passes for 492 yards and four touchdowns during the first four contests and will look to continue that dominance against the Wildcats this weekend. The chemistry of quarterback Matt Barkley and Woods equals that of Nick Foles and Juron Criner, so the Wildcats will need to run a shutdown defense to keep Woods’ production to a minimum.

Marc Tyler, running back

If Arizona wasn’t concerned enough with the Trojan passing offense, Tyler offers just as much of an offensive threat for USC on the ground. Last year in Tucson, Tyler ran all over the Wildcats defense with a career-high 160 yards and a touchdown, and he only looks better this season. In just three games he’s posted 303 yards and two touchdowns. With the problems that the Arizona run defense has been having, look for the Trojan offense to test the Wildcats as much as it can on the ground.

Nick Perry, defensive end

As a part of one of the Trojans’ most highly touted units, Perry leads USC with two sacks, a forced fumble and 18 tackles on the season. Perry’s ability to get to the quarterback has resulted in 15 sacks throughout his tenure at USC. As the Wildcats attempt to get their running game going against the Trojans, Perry and the rest of the D-line will be there trying to put a stop to it.