Owned by the Devils

After rallying in the fourth inning after a bench-clearing scuffle, the Arizona baseball team lost its third straight game, falling to ASU 10-5. It was also the third straight loss to the Sun Devils.

Arizona (20-10, 2-4 Pacific 10 Conference) third baseman Cole Frenzel was hit in the back in the fourth inning — his second time being hit in the game and fifth time being plunked in Arizona’s last four games — and had words with pitcher Kyle Ottoson on his way to first base. Sun Devil second baseman Zack MacPhee then exchanged words with Frenzel, which brought both dugouts onto the field.

Frenzel got the start at third because normal third baseman Seth Mejias-Brean had a wrist injury flare up, which he is getting X-rayed today.

No punches were thrown and bullpen catcher TC Mark was the only ejection, but the fracas sparked Arizona to three runs in the inning, cutting the ASU (22-6, 5-1 Pac-10) lead to 6-4. Unfortunately for Arizona, the Wildcats would plate only one more run, coming in the bottom of the ninth.

“”Cole (Frenzel) was fired up, next thing you know I have Hulk Hogan coming out of the bullpen,”” said head coach Andy Lopez. “”I take full responsibility for (the loss). I’ve got to do a good job making better decisions. Arizona State played well, but I cost us this ball game.””

Arizona designated hitter Robert Refsnyder left the bases loaded in the fourth inning after lining a ball into the left-center gap that ASU centerfielder Andy Workman made a diving play on. ASU responded with two more runs in the next half-inning, both off of Bryce Bandilla.

After starting at first base, Josh Garcia had to leave the game due to leg cramps while leaving the field after a strikeout ended ASU’s half of the fifth.

“”That was the worst leg cramp I’ve seen in all my life on Earth,”” Lopez said. “”He was passing out and coming through then passing out again. I thought he blew his knee up the way he was coming off the field.””

Vincent Littleman got the start on the mound for Arizona, going 3.1 innings and allowing four earned runs. Bandilla gave up four more runs in two-thirds of an inning before Nick Cunningham was able to stop the bleeding, throwing four innings and allowing one unearned run on two hits.

Arizona mounted a small rally in the ninth before Garcia’s replacement Brandon Dixon struck out with the bases loaded and the tying run in the on-deck circle.