Women’s tennis set to take on Washington and Oregon

Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The No. 31 Arizona women’s tennis team will try to improve its conference record as it hosts two back-to-back Pac-12 matches this weekend against No. 36 Washington and Oregon at LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.

“We expect a battle with Washington, but we are confident that we can beat them if we play together,” head coach Vicky Maes said. “Oregon, too, will be a good match, but we are taking it one step at a time.”

The Wildcats’ last meeting with Washington came a year ago when the then-ranked No. 27 Huskies edged Arizona 4-3. All the Wildcats’ points came from singles play wins.

Just a few weeks prior to the match against Washington last year, Arizona opened its Pac-10 season against Oregon and the then-ranked No. 26 Wildcats dominated the Ducks in a 6-1 victory.

With a strong roster of six returning players from last year’s team, expectations are high for the team’s performance.

“Our seniors have to step up and play smart,” Maes said. “Having Kim back in the line-up will also make a big difference. She’s a reliable player for us and she always fights hard, which brings energy to those around her.”

Currently, two Wildcats are ranked in singles and doubles play. Senior Natasha Marks is ranked No. 85, while sophomore Lacey Smyth is ranked No. 79. Together, the duo comes ranked in at No. 45 for doubles play.