Movie fails to ‘Step Up 2’ its hype

It must be a dancer thing, but I loved ‘Step Up.’ The film took two people from completely different backgrounds, both in the dance world and the outside world, and put them together. Unlike many people, I enjoyed the bad acting and the predictable plotline. So when I saw the preview for the sequel, “”Step Up 2: The Streets,”” I was immediately excited. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

The movie follows street hip-hop dancer Andie (Briana Evigan), who is forced to enter the snooty Maryland School of the Arts after she is caught getting into trouble with her illustrious street crew, the 410. She immediately faces the challenge of fitting in – both at her new school and with her old friends.

Along the way, she meets star student Chase (Robert Hoffman) who shows her that dance at MSA can be more than just the traditional ballet, modern, tap and jazz.

“”Step Up 2: The Streets””
    Rated PG-13 – 98 mins.
    Touchstone
    Starring Briana Evigan and Robert Hoffman
    2 stars

After getting kicked out of her crew for becoming too “”mainstream,”” she and Chase decide to form their own crew and take on the challenge of competing in “”The Streets”” hip-hop battle, despite their headmaster’s wishes and threats from the 410.

What ensues is a predictable and melodramatic battle between those who understand hip-hop and those who don’t. Oh, and a romance between Chase and Andie.

Sound familiar? That’s because it’s the exact same plotline as the first movie. It’s “”Step Up”” with a girl.

What is even more disappointing is the stereotyped image that hip-hop is given throughout much of the movie. The MSA students, who are supposed to be at the top of the dance field, often refer to it as a fake form of dance. Despite what the movie shows, hip-hop is often embraced in many dance programs throughout the nation.

What is impressive about the film is the choreography and the high caliber of the dancing. Evigan trained under hip-hop choreographer Shane Sparks and it shows. Her ability to execute the moves with as much force as a guy, while still adding in her own femininity is extremely impressive.

Hoffman displays his versatility as a dancer as well, with many scenes showing him performing hip-hop, break dancing, modern and jazz.

The ending dance scene is pretty impressive, though it is obvious that it wasn’t shot in one take. The choreography is well done and the break-dancing is extremely noteworthy.

Overall, the movie is nothing too shocking or life-altering. If you are looking to see some great dancing, then go see it; otherwise, don’t waste the money.