Staff Picks

No. 17 Arizona men’s basketball vs. Virginia

Did anyone see the game against NAU? If the Wildcats continue to play like that, this season could be over before it starts. Arizona will face its first major conference opponent in Virginia, and in a conference like the ACC, expect the Cavaliers to be ready to sock it to the ranked Wildcats. It is obvious there will be growing pains when the cornerstone of your team is underclassmen. Jerryd Bayless, meet major college basketball.

Virginia 76, Arizona 68

-Ari Wasserman,
    sports writer

During Tuesday’s opening night win against NAU, the Wildcats showed that their defense could be a source of concern for a while, letting a 16-point lead with 10 minutes left dwindle to just three. Now, Arizona managed to survive the defensive implosion against a team like NAU, but better teams will surely make the Wildcats pay. I think Arizona will beat Virginia with help from its offense, but you can expect sloppier defense.

Arizona 80, Virginia 76

-Bobby Stover,
    sports writer

The Cavaliers are led by senior guard Sean Singletary, who averaged 19 points per game last year, and come into McKale Center having handily defeated Vermont and Howard. While Arizona seemed to sleepwalk through most of the NAU game, expect a different show against a better foe. Jordan Hill needs to stay out of foul trouble, and Arizona needs to consistently hit open shots and free throws. Expect a barn-burner.

Arizona 87, Virginia 76

-Michael Fitzpatrick,
    sports writer

Arizona women’s basketball vs. Portland

My pick in this game is probably as valuable as Stevie Wonder’s opinion on whale-watching. Though it is apparent I’m not very educated in women’s hoops like some of my colleagues, I promise you my pick won’t be wrong. Take it to Vegas. Can you bet on women’s hoops in Vegas? Moving forward, I am going to have to take the Pac-10 over Portland’s conference (what is it again?). I have a funny hunch about Bonvicini’s Wildcats this season.

Arizona 68, Portland 56

-Ari Wasserman,
    sports writer

Pulling out the overtime victory last Sunday against UNC-Charlotte was huge for Arizona’s confidence. Now the Wildcats will have a win under their belt coming into their first home game of the season. Plus, Ashley Whisonant and Amina Njonkou have been playing superbly through the team’s first three games. This matched with the impressive play of freshman Tasha Dicky, who is coming off an 18-point effort Sunday, will spell success for the Wildcats this weekend.

Arizona 72, Portland 63

-Bobby Stover,
    sports writer

According to arizonaathletics.com, the Lady Wildcats (are they called that?) missed 51 layups in Pennsylvania last weekend. I’m not good at math, but missing 51 of anything cannot be good. Portland is a very deep team and looks to cause Arizona problems. But it is the home opener for the Wildcats, and anything can happen.

Portland 75, Arizona 58

-Michael Fitzpatrick,
    sports writer

No. 7 Ohio State at No. 23 Michigan

How many batteries does it take to beat Michigan? One AA. If Appalachian State can handle their business in the Big House, there is no way Ohio State will trip up there, especially because everyone knows Michigan is garbage this year. The Buckeyes lost last week looking ahead to this game, so expect them to be pumped. Look for me in the stands – I will be wearing red.

Ohio State 34, Michigan 14

-Ari Wasserman,
    sports writer

While Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr dodges questions about his job security, Ohio State remains in contention for a BCS bowl game despite losing last weekend to Illinois. Michigan may be at home, but the Buckeyes simply have more to gain from the win – they want it more. Plus, Michigan lost to Appalachian State. Just thought that should be mentioned one more time.

Ohio State 35, Michigan 27

-Bobby Stover,
    sports writer

The Buckeyes can have their “”Script Ohio”” and the Wolverines can have their “”Hail to the Victors,”” but this game is nothing more than a couple of overhyped rivals. So full of cupcakes, overrated Ohio State couldn’t chase down Illinois and finally lost. Overhyped Michigan lost to Division I-AA Appalachian State in the Wolverines’ first game, and their best win came against Notre Lame – I mean Dame. Expect seniors Mike Hart and Chad Henne to be victorious and finally sink the Ohio State ship.

Michigan 21, Ohio State 14

-Michael Fitzpatrick,
    sports writer