Arizona MBB move to 3-0 after big win against Utah Tech

Nathanial Stenchever

Henri Veesaar, a forward on the Arizona men’s basketball team, knocks the ball out of an opponent’s hands in a game on Nov. 17 in McKale Center. The Wildcats would win their third game 104-77.

The Arizona men’s basketball team stays undefeated after beating Utah Tech University by a score of 104-77 in McKale Center.

After this win, the Wildcats move to 3-0 on the short season. Each game has went the same way for Arizona. From start to finish, pure dominance was on display.

The Wildcats beat the Trailblazers by 27 points tonight and have now won two of their first three games by at least 25 points.

All five Arizona starters scored double digits in this game.

“I think we are in a good spot, I think the Maui tournament is going to be a big challenge for us and we are excited for it,” Kerr Kriisa said.

For the second straight game, Arizona’s biggest difference maker was Kriisa. He set a new collegiate career high with 24 points while staying hot from deep as he made six 3-pointers.

“Yeah, [I] tell him shoot more, he’s such a good player and he can involve others so easily, sometimes I think he’s turning down open shots for himself,” head coach Tommy Lloyd said.

Azuolas Tubelis continued his double digit streak by scoring 20 points along with eight rebounds on a terrific 9-11 shooting from the field.

Tonight was Oumar Ballo’s third career double-double. He had 16 points, 11 rebounds while blocking two shots.

Arizona shot the ball very well as they finished the game 64 percent from the field (35-55) and 55 percent (12-22) from 3-point range.

“I thought Cedric tonight was electric, to see him play with that effort, and that’s kind of what I had envisioned with him but again, you know, it takes time for that to happen,” Lloyd said.

Arizona veteran forward Cedric Henderson was excellent tonight. He scored 18 points on 70 percent shooting from the field while grabbing five rebounds.

The Wildcats were 22-22 from the free throw line which is the best single game performance in school history.

“We value free throws, it is a big part of what we do and to see guys to step up and make them at that clip is huge,” Lloyd said. “It’s probably not gonna happen every night, but I think overall we can be a really good free throw shooting team.”

RELATED: Kylan Boswell is ready to take his game to the next level

Arizona will have three days off before they have their first game at the Maui Jim Maui Invitational against Cincinnati on Nov. 21, at 9:30 P.M.

“It’s an awesome tournament it’s the premium preseason tournament,” Lloyd said. “It’s special for your fans and I know Arizona fans are going to be there, It’s a special venue and you know, it’s a great field.”

Arizona will add their important off-season transfer addition to the mix with Courtney Ramey on Monday. Ramey was out for the team’s first three games after serving a suspension.

“Everybody in our team loves Courtney and they know he’s a really good player and he makes us better,” Lloyd said. “Courtney’s he’s an awesome person, and you know, I’m thankful we have him and he took one on the chin there having to sit out those three games, but that’s how it goes, he handled it with class. He practiced well, worked out extra and then I know he’s fired up to be playing Monday.

Follow Ryan Wohl on Twitter