Before you graduate

There are certain things you just can’t live in Arizona and not do. Some are more obvious than others, but the list of things you’ll regret if you miss during your time at the UA is long, and your time here is short. So jump in and get started with these four “”musts.””

The “”hole”” experience

You can’t live in Arizona and not visit the Grand Canyon, one of the seven natural wonders of the world. It’s so much Arizona’s claim to fame, it’s on our license plates. The National Park surrounding the canyon itself allows for camping, hiking, guided tours, cell phone tours, and river and mule trips. Restaurants and lodging are also available for the less outdoorsy. Entrance to the park is $25 per private vehicle or $12 per person on foot or by bike.

Visit www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm for more information.

Choo-choo through time

A remnant of the development of Verde Canyon and the copper mining that caused it, the leisurely train ride is a trip through history as well as through nature. The 38-mile stretch weaves through the land once home to several ancient peoples. Nearby, Clarkdale is a trove of history as well, containing several historic sites worth seeing. The railroad is open year-round — though on varying days — and costs $54.95 to ride, making it the perfect trip to take with visiting parents. Tequila and wine-tasting tours are also available at slightly steeper rates (though maybe the parents should sit those ones out).

Visit www.verdecanyonrr.com/index.html or call (800) 582-7245 for more information.

Catch the ‘White Dove’

Officially called Mission San Xavier del Bac — “”Bac”” meaning “”the place where water appears”” — for the Santa Cruz River that runs underneath it, this church is considered one of the finest examples of mission architecture in the U.S. An operational church, complete with Franciscan friars, the mission is not only historical but functional as well. Visit the museum from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and enjoy a self-guided tour. Attending Mass and exploring the gift shop are always options as well. Donations are accepted but entrance is free.

Visit www.sanxaviermission.org/General.html or call 294-2624 for Mass schedules and more information.

See a Cactus game

Of the Cactus League’s teams, the Colorado Rockies, the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Chicago White Sox all prepare for their seasons right here in Tucson. These teams and the 12 others that make up the Cactus League participate in a tradition that began in the early 20th century — playing what were originally exhibition games in Arizona before baseball season began. Attend a game anytime in March. Most games begin at 1:05 p.m. Tickets are available through ticketmaster.com and tickets.com. Schedule available at www.cactusleague.com/images/2010_schedule.pdf.

Visit www.cactusleague.com/index.php for more information.

— Christy Delehanty

Is there something you think we should do before graduating? Send your suggestions to arts@wildcat.arizona.edu. Please include your name, major and year.