Volleyball takes on Huskies, Cougars

There will be no room for errors tonight when the Arizona volleyball team takes on the No. 4 Washington Huskies in McKale Center at 7.

“The one thing I like about Washington is that every year I know exactly what I’m going to get from Washington,” head coach Dave Rubio said. “They pride themselves in being really straightforward, and they’re going to execute at a higher level more consistently than you are. That’s worked very well for them in the past, and they’re very good again this year.”

The Huskies come with more seniority than the Wildcats, especially in their setting.

Huskies setter Evan Sanders is a close friend of the Wildcats’ Courtney Karst. Before college, they played on the same club team, Karst said.

Even though Karst says the two haven’t exchanged words about tonight’s match, she knows defeating Sanders’ team isn’t an easy feat.

“Washington has always been tough, and we’ve only beat them once, last season, in the last, I don’t know how many years,” Karst said. “It will be good to play against a really good opponent and prove ourselves.”

Karst is also looking forward to the friendly rivalry.

“I know when we even played together, we were extremely competitive,” Karst said of Sanders. “We’d always exchange some words back and forth, so it should be really fun.”

Another interesting matchup will be between Washington’s freshman outside hitter Krista Vansant and Arizona’s freshman outside hitter Madison Kingdon.

Vansant was the Gatorade 2010-11 National Volleyball Player of the Year in high school.

“Vansant’s taller, she’s about 6-2,” Rubio said. “But both (Vansant and Kingdon) are very similar types of players, and I think when (head coach) Jim (McLaughlin) recruited Krista, he had the same vision of the role she would play as I have for Madi — all six rotations, passing in every rotation, and the primary go to player on the left.”

The Wildcats will follow up the Washington game by facing Washington State on Sunday at 1 p.m.

“They have some real legit players,” Rubio said.

Rubio said the team’s standout player is its only senior, outside hitter Meagan Ganzer.

“She could start for anybody in the conference,” Rubio said on Ganzer.

After a coaching change last year, the team is currently in a transitional state.

“They’re in a rebuilding phase, but they can give you problems,” Rubio said. “They’re good and talented enough to beat you. They’re not at the same level as Washington, but I still think we have to be in a position to control our side of the net to be successful.”