Arizona WBB’s Sam Thomas named a finalist for Senior CLASS Award

Nathanial Stenchever

Sam Thomas, a guard on the Arizona woman’s basketball team, takes a 3-point shot on Sunday, Feb. 6 in McKale Center. The Wildcats went on to win 73-61.

Arizona women’s basketball forward Sam Thomas has been named as a finalist for the “Senior CLASS” award. The “CLASS” stands for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School. The award focuses on players that use their platform as an athlete to create positive impacts within their communities. 

So far this season, Thomas has been averaging 9.1 points per game, but her defense has continued to stand out. She is averaging 1.5 steals and 1.1 blocks per game. 

Thomas ranks second this season in the Pac-12 in three-point percentage. She is shooting 46.8% from deep while having a 3-1 assist-to-turnover ratio. Recently, Thomas added to her list of accolades by entering the program’s top 10 all-time scoring list. 

Not a stranger to accolades and awards throughout her career at Arizona, Thomas leads the Pac-12 in career steals with 247. This year she also was awarded the 17th annual Coach Wooden Citizenship Cup which is given to the most outstanding role models that are student athletes. 

Thomas is one of 10 finalists and one of two players from the Pac-12 to be picked as finalists. Lexie Hull is also a finalist representing Stanford. 

Fans can vote for who they think should be the winner at the Senior CLASS Award website. The winner will be announced during the 2022 NCAA Women’s Final Four. 

Follow Asher Bookspan on Twitter