Women’s tennis still unbeaten

Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The Arizona women’s tennis team remains undefeated at home after defeating Sacramento State and St. Mary’s this weekend with scores of 5-2 for each match.

“Our confidence is high,” head coach Vicky Maes said. “The girls are listening more and taking to heart what they need to do to be better all around.”

On Saturday, the No. 29 Wildcats (9-3) took on No. 71 Sacramento State.

In doubles play, Arizona came away with the point after senior Sarah Landsman and freshman Hailey Johnson won their matchup 8-6.

The Wildcats clinched the match when Landsman defeated Rebeca Delgado in three sets during singles play. In the first set, Landsman fell 5-7, but came out strong to hold Delgado to 6-3 in the second. Landsman showed no mercy in the tiebreaking third set as she beat Delgado 10-0.
On Sunday, Arizona upset No. 20 Saint Mary’s for the second straight year.

After sweeping Saint Mary’s in doubles and earning that point, Landsman clinched the match yet again for the Wildcats just three matches into singles play.

Landsman defeated Saint Mary’s Anna Chkhikvishvili in two sets, 6-3, 6-2.

“I am very pleased with today’s win,” Maes said. “We felt we were the better team going into today, and being undefeated at home put us on a high. Walking away with two wins this weekend is a good place to be at this point in the season.”

Meanwhile on the road, the Arizona men’s tennis team continued its slump, falling 5-2 to TCU and 6-1 to Oklahoma.

“I felt that we had some guys that played well, considering all the elements of being on the road,” men’s head coach Tad Berkowitz said.

On Friday, sophomore Giacomo Miccini and freshman Sebastian Ionescu teamed up to earn one doubles win for the Wildcats with a score of 8-6. However, it was not enough as the Frogs claimed the doubles point.

As singles play began, the Wildcats dropped three straight matches in a row, which sealed their fate.

In his collegiate debut, freshman Robin Chou was one of two Wildcats to earn a point for Arizona. Chou defeated TCU’s Paul Chappell 7-6(6), 6-4.

Sophomore Mario Urquidi earned the Wildcats second point after defeating the Frog’s Daniel Sanchez in a three-set match. Urquidi dropped the first set 3-6, but held Sanchez to 6-2 for the second set. In a close third set, Urquidi edged Sanchez with a score of 7-5.

On Sunday, Oklahoma swept Arizona (3-7) in doubles play.

In singles play, Chou was the only Wildcat to come out with a win. He defeated the Sooners’ Lawrence Formentera 6-3, 6-4.

“I am very impressed with Robin,” Berkowitz said. “To come out and get two wins on the road in his first two matches of the season, shows he is going to be a strong competitor this season.”