Hazi leads a fresh start

Ravid Hazi reaches out for the return during a match last season against ASU at the Robson Tennis Center. Hazi reached the finals in the singles bracket yesterday, when his run at the Aggie Fall Invitational in Las Cruces, N.M., came to an end.

Scores, sets and aces might look good on paper, but a top priority for the Arizona men’s tennis team was gaining experience and confidence over the weekend in Las Cruces, N.M.

Arizona sent three players to the Aggie Invitational, a three-day individual tournament at the New Mexico State Tennis Center. Ravid Hazi, David Humphreys and Nathan Cochrane represented the Wildcats in successful singles and doubles matches for their fall tournament season opener.

Hazi played his fall tournament debut into a memorable outing. The sophomore, who missed last fall prior to transferring, reached the singles play finals. Hazi finished the tournament 3-1, after falling to New Mexico State freshman Jim Brouleau in three sets, 7-6, 4-6, 6-4.

“”All three of these guys needed these tournaments badly for various reasons,”” said UA head coach Tad Berkowitz. “”We were happy with the results from all three.””

Hazi entered the tournament excited to gain competitive experience without any big expectations. Competition and fundamental tennis play, Hazi said, was his primary concern, rather than tallies in the win column.

Berkowitz added that such play helps gain match toughness while settling in.

“”We’re going to continue to work hard, be more aggressive and comfortable on the court,”” Hazi said. “”Most importantly, we are a good team and we need to think we’re a good team and believe in ourselves.””

Hazi defeated NAU’s Chris Arena in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3, in first round action Friday. He also paired up with Humphreys to defeat Abilene (Texas) Christian’s Ryan Fraser and Jake Tracy, 8-6.

“”To win some matches here I think it helped me for my confidence,”” Hazi said. “”I’m sure it will help the team as a whole with those matches and those wins.””

Quarterfinal singles play Saturday gave Hazi two wins over New Mexico State. He defeated Stefan McKinney, 6-4, 6-2, and Gustave Diep, 6-2, 2-6, 7-5.

Cochrane, a senior bouncing back from a two-year wrist surgery recovery, posted Arizona’s best record over the weekend by going 4-1. Cochrane picked up two victories Saturday over NAU’s Chris Arena, 6-2, 7-5, and ACU’s Luke Hawk, 6-4, 6-2. Yesterday, Cochrane wrapped up the weekend with a victory over Western New Mexico’s Valu Fa, 6-1, 6-3.

Continuing the trend of new beginnings, Humphreys also acquired a first taste of collegiate tennis. The freshman posted a 2-2 record over the weekend while competing in doubles play with Hazi. The two advanced into the semi-finals but lost to ACU’s Ryan Hudson and Juan Nunez, 8-2.

“”We accomplished what we wanted to,”” Berkowitz said. “”You get a taste of everything in this tournament … and learn how to handle each match differently.””

Arizona will send Jay Goldman to the USTA Costa Mesa Futures with assistant coach Tom Lloyd tomorrow in Costa Mesa, Calif.