FINAL: Arizona secures Sweet 16 berth with 73-58 win over Ohio State

Rebecca Noble

Arizona center Kaleb Tarczewski (35) makes a dunk during Arizona’s 73-58 win against Ohio State in the second round of the NCAA tournament in the Moda Center in Portland, Ore. on Saturday afternoon.

Arizona guard Gabe York came alive in the second half to finish with 19 points to lead the No. 2 seeded Wildcats to a 73-58 victory over No. 10 seeded Ohio State in the third round of the NCAA Tournament.

With the victory, Arizona moves on to the Sweet 16 and will face the winner of No. 6 seeded Xavier and No. 14 seeded Georgia State.

While York lit it up from behind the arc with a career-high five 3-pointers, Arizona point guard T.J. McConnell torched the Buckeyes from all over the court. McConnell finished with 19 points, six assists, five steals and six rebounds.

Arizona forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson finished with 11 points, 10 rebounds and five assists in 34 minutes of action.

Arizona shot 37 percent from the floor, 37 percent from beyond the 3-point line and 83 percent from the charity stripe. Ohio State shot 38 percent from the field, 29 percent from deep and 87 percent from the foul line.

Ohio State All-American guard D’Angelo Russell shot just 3-19 from the field for nine points. Russell also added six assists and seven rebounds.

Game notes:

-Ohio State coach Thad Matta is now 2-1 all-time against Arizona

-Arizona trailed for 15:53 of the opening 20 minutes of play and never trailed again

-Arizona out-rebounded Ohio State 43-26 and won the points in the paint battle 30-22

-This is Sean Miller’s sixth Sweet 16 appearance, including his fourth while at Arizona

Check in with us later today for a full recap and analysis column from today’s Arizona victory.