Trump takes center stage in Tucson

Sam Gross

Donald Trump brought his campaign to Tucson on Saturday, March 19 for a final rally before the March 22 Arizona primary. Trump rallied up support for his platforms, which included strict immigration laws and lower level gun control.

Republican presidential candidate, Donald J. Trump, took to the Tucson Convention Center on Saturday to greet supporters preceding the March 22 Arizona primary election.

The Tuesday primary election will be held for both Democratic and Republican candidates, with 58 delegates up for grabs on the red side.

Kicking off the rally, former Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer made an appearance to support the Trump campaign.

The former Arizona governor said she supports his “great policies,” and explained that she was excited for the wall Trump says he will build to combat undocumented immigration from Mexico.

“All of use believe in the rule of law, we come legally,” Brewer said. “And he’s gonna build that wall [sic].”

Controversial Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio introduced the leading Republican candidate with reasons for explaining why he endorses the candidate, which relied heavily on Trump’s tough stance on illegal immigration.

“We ought to enforce the illegal immigration laws in Mexico on that side, if Mexico is listening, at the border and in the interior of the United States,” Arpaio said. “If they are here illegally, they should be deported.

Not unlike the former governor and the fiery sheriff, supporters have their reasons for why are casting their vote for Trump in the Tuesday primary.

Lindy Shower brought her two kids to the Trump rally, Bnaiah, 14, and Bri, 19, and all three say that they are in full support the top Republican candidate.

Shower said that she supports Trump’s controversial rhetoric and believes that the temporary ban on Muslims entering the U.S. is something that should happen.

“We need someone who is real and who is not a politician and who will not follow the normal political path,” Shower said. “I want my country protected for sure…I am with him that Islam is not a religion that wants peace, no matter who says what about it.”

Throughout his speech, Trump touched on the topics running his campaign like immigration, gun reform, military funding and healthcare.

“We are getting rid of Obamacare, we will protect the second amendment,” he said.

While most of those in attendance were in full support of the Trump campaign, the rally was not without it’s handful of protesters.

During the rally, protesters who were chanting in opposition of Trump were hastily escorted to the door by Trump’s Secret Service agents and the TCC security officers.

Protesters escorted from the event were often met with violence from Trump supporters in the crowd. One protester was beaten as he was being removed from the venue. 

Like many of his other campaign rallies, Trump expressed the need to “take America back,” by bringing business back to the U.S.

“Trade with China, trade with Japan, trade with Vietnam and India and Mexico, we lose everywhere,” Trump said. “I have the greatest business people in the world…they will negotiate our deals, folks. No more political hacks.”

Trump remains an adamant supporter of the second amendment. During the rally, he alluded to the November terrorist attacks on Paris in which at least 130 people were killed, to express his distaste towards strict gun laws.

“Paris has the toughest gun laws in the world, and you can’t have a gun impossible,” Trump said. “And when these thugs go in, these horrible horrible people…If we had couple of guys in this audience, a couple of women in this audience, with a little pistol strapped to their side…so the bullets can be flying in the opposite direction, it would’ve been a lot different situation.”

Continuously calling Republican presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz, a liar, Trump also bashed previous Republican candidates like Gov. Mitt Romney and Sen. John McCain and promised to remain tough in politics.

Closing out the rally, Trump encouraged his supporters to cast their votes for him on at the Tuesday Primary Election.

Follow Lauren Renteria on Twitter