Wildcats suffer loss by Beavers in three sets

Simon Asher
Arizona’s Mackenna Martin curls up on an injured hand early on in the UA-Utah game on Friday, Oct. 13.

Arizona volleyball suffered a tough loss Wednesday night, as they were swept by Oregon State, 3-0 (25-11, 25-15, 15-18).

The Beavers took set one in convincing fashion, 25-11. After an 8-0 run put up by Oregon State, the Wildcats were unable to dig themselves out of the hole they found themselves in early on. The 11 points is the second lowest total in conference play for the ‘Cats in a set to 25.

Arizona improved in set two, but the result stayed the same as the Beavers won, 25-15, putting them up 2-0 in the match. Oregon State had runs of four and five and didn’t look back going into set three. 

The Beavers were able to seal the deal in set three, winning 25-18. The Wildcats were unable to add a much needed win to their season.  

It was a rough night all around for Arizona, as no player reached double-digit kills, with junior outside hitter Kendra Dahlke leading the way with six kills on 25 attempts. Four Wildcats, including Dahlke, had over 10 total attempts, and none of them were able to break a .100 hitting percentage. Sophomore setter Julia Patterson finished with 15 assists, her lowest total in Pac-12 play by 13. She also added two kills and four digs.

For Oregon State, senior outside hitter Mary-Kate Marshall, who came into the match second in the Pac-12 in kills, finished with 11 kills along with six digs and three total blocks.

It’s going to be a quick turnaround for the ‘Cats as they head to Eugene, Ore. to take on the No. 15 Oregon Ducks at 8 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 20.

Follow Noah Auclair on Twitter