UAPD awards 8 UA affiliates for partnership

Will Ferguson
Will Ferguson / Arizona Daily Wildcat Chief Anthony Dakin and Sgt. Juan Alvarez speak at an award ceremony held by the University of Arizona Police Department for members of the community who have helped officers in the line of duty. The event took place on the UA campus on April 24, 2012.

The UAPD recognized eight members of the UA community for reporting suspicious activities and crimes at a ceremony on Tuesday.

“Only through partnership in our community can we make this the safest and best place for people whether they are studying, teaching or just working in the community through the involvement of the people,” said Anthony Daykin, chief of police at the University of Arizona Police Department, in his opening remarks during the Partners With Our Community event.

Justin Friedenthal, a junior studying special education and rehabilitation; Melissa Ludgate, assistant health educator in the College of Medicine; and Brandon Murphy, a communication sophomore, were recognized for giving the UA community outstanding medical care assistance. The three founded Student Emergency Medical Services in March to help UAPD shorten response times to students needing medical attention.

“I saw how long it would take for people to get medical care, so I thought if we had something on campus, we can help the campus grow together and be a better place for students and faculty,” Ludgate said.

Stephen Conatser, an aerospace engineering senior, was recognized for contacting UAPD because he reported a suspicious man roaming a residence hall.

Conatser spotted the same man on two separate occasions in the residence hall. During the first incident, he approached the man and asked him why he was there. Conatser asked him to leave, and when the man refused, he called UAPD. When he saw the same man roaming the hall at a later date, he called UAPD immediately and officers escorted the man off campus.

Conatser’s action resulted in a safer living environment, said Sgt. Juan Alvarez, UAPD’s public information officer.

The UA community members recognized at the ceremony stepped out of their way to make campus a safer place and set an example for others to act in an honorable and kind way, Daykin said.

“I am really proud of our community and of our people here for what they have done,” he added.