Police Beat

Woman’s brother tails man believed to be stalker
    A man decided not to file charges against another man who he said was following him and threatened his life.

An officer was on a traffic stop when he was approached by a man in his vehicle shouting loudly, “”Someone is trying to kill me!”” He then pointed out another car to the officer and said the man in it was trying to harm him. The officer let the person he had originally stopped go in order to help the man.

The man told the officer that he was visiting his mother when he was suddenly approached by a large man who tried to pull him from his vehicle. He said that he was able to start his car quickly and drive away. The man then told the officer that the large man got into a vehicle and began to follow him. That is when the man saw the officer and stopped for help.

The officer then made his way to the other vehicle and asked the man to step out of the car. This man told officers that he was visiting his sister, who had told him that over the past month or so, she believed someone was stalking her. His sister had looked out her front door and noticed two unfamiliar vehicles in the driveway of her apartment complex with a single occupant in them.

She then told her brother that she thought one of them might possibly be the one she thought was stalking her. She yelled at her brother to confront the men because, “”I think they are after me.””

The man then ran out toward the vehicles, when the drivers took off. He said that he was only following the other man in order to get a license plate number, and his intention was not to confront the man. The man said his sister had called Tucson Police Department only a few minutes prior to the situation. The officer called TPD, who confirmed and then came on scene to take over the investigation.

It was decided that no criminal violation occurred, and both parties were allowed to leave.

Marijuana call leads to ID citation
    A man was cited for using another’s identification after police responded to his room for a marijuana call.

Police entered Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall after being called for the smell of marijuana. Upon entering the hall where the smell was coming from, they identified the room where the odor was the strongest. They knocked on the door, and a man answered. He allowed officers to come into the room. They began to question the man about the marijuana, but he said he did not know anything about it.

The man exhibited no signs of marijuana use. He said that his roommate had been in the room earlier but had left just a bit ago. He also said that he does not use marijuana. Police asked the man if he knew if the marijuana that they smelled was from his roommate. The man said he did not know. He told officers that they could search his side of the room if they wished.

Upon entering the room they saw paraphernalia for marijuana next to the man’s roommate’s bed. They asked him if he knew anything about it. He said he didn’t, that it was his roommates stuff. The officer then asked him when his roommate would return. He said he did not know.

Officers then saw a wallet lying on the man’s bed face down. Inside the wallet, there was another form of identification that they had not seen from the man. It was a New York license with someone else’s name on it. They ran the information, and the license was real. Officers asked the man if he had the ID to buy alcohol. He said no, but that he used it to buy cigarettes because he was only 17.

They cited and released him for using another’s driver’s license. Officers told the man that they would be back to talk to his roommate about the marijuana.

Intoxicated man found unconscious in Coconino
    Police responded to Coconino Residence Hall for an unconscious male on the morning of Oct. 1.

Upon arrival, the resident assistant who had called officers took them to a hallway where there was a male lying on the floor unconscious.

Tucson Fire Department was called and arrived shortly after to treat the man. Police identified the man through his driver’s license. When TFD arrived, the fire captain asked one of the medics if he smelled alcohol. The medic responded that he did. The medic then asked the man if he had drank that evening. The man’s only response to the medic’s question was, “”Delta Chi…Delta Chi…”” The man was then transported to University Medical Center for extreme intoxication. Police attempted to read him his rights and question him there, but he was unable to understand his rights and did not want to answer any questions.

Police left and told the man they would contact him later.

Later in the day, police returned to Coconino and made contact with the man. He allowed the officer to enter his room. After the officer recounted what had happened, the man acknowledged that it had happened, but said that he did not remember much. He told the officer that he had been drinking at a friend’s house off campus and that they had drank some vodka. He said he remembered walking home, but not much after that.

The staff at UMC told officers that the man’s BAC was .332, which, they told the man, is extremely high and dangerous. He said that he realized that now.

The man was cited and released for minor in possession and referred to the Dean of Students Office.