Family Weekend Events

Friday

Open Classes for UA Families

Everywhere

If your mom wants to know what you’ve been doing in class or just that you’ve been going at all, classes are open to parents and guest today. Ask your professor beforehand if there’s room for Mom and Pop — and maybe don’t bring them along to Love and Eroticism.

Family Weekend Kick-Off Fair

UA Mall, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Check out the vendors and booth on the Mall for Family Weekend. There will be a multicultural fair, Career Services booth and club booths. Maybe you can even get dad to spring for those 20 pairs of shoes at the ubiquitous “”$2 Only”” booth you’ve been eyeing.

Stargazing at Steward

Steward Observatory, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.

Weather permitting, stop by Steward Observatory to check out the stars like you’ve never seen them before. UA has one of the best astronomy programs in the world, and this might be your only chance to benefit directly from that distinction. Unless, of course, you’re from Mars.

ART’s “”The Diary of Anne Frank””

Tornabene Theatre, 7:30 p.m., $24

Enjoy a moving performance of this famous historical figure. The cast, crew and design team is comprised mostly of UA students in the Acting and Theatre Arts programs. Performances are Thu-Sat at 7:30 p.m., Sat and Sun at 1:30 p.m..

Bear Down Friday

Main Gate Square, 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.

Bring your parents to University Boulevard to show them just how Wildcats get ready for a big game. Free live entertainment, booths and loyal UA fans shut down the road for a good, old-fashioned pep rally.

Double Feature Weekend

Student  Union, Gallagher Theatre, 7 p.m. and 10 p.m.

Come check out a student-favorite spot for free and cheap movies: the Gallagher Theater. The movies are yet to be determined, but they are sure to be family friendly. Did we mention they’re free? Be sure to get there early to get a spot.

Union Gallery Reception

Student Union, C Third Floor, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.

Check out powerful photography by Tucson immigrant and refugee youths at the cultural hotspot of the student union. Refreshments will be provided.

Drop-In Reception for LGBTQ Families

Student Union, Ventana Room, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.

Come by to sip tea and mingle with LGBTQ staff and students. Find out what resources are available to students and parents, plus learn about club and events going on in the UA LGBTQ community.

Read Like A Faculty Member

Main Bookstore, 4:30 p.m.

Stop by the bookstore to listen to deans and faculty read from their published works, talk to students and families and sign copies of their books. Faculty authors and authors from The University of Arizona Press will be present, and light snacks will be provided.

Saturday

Recreation Center Tournaments “”Work Out Like a Wildcat””

Rec Center, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., Basketball: $5/person, Racquetball: $5/person (must sign up in teams of two)

Whether your dad was All-American or just eats American cheese while watching a game, here’s your chance to team up and take on your roommate or maybe your girlfriend for athletic bragging rights. You can sign up in either a recreational or competitive division — and hope Pop knows which category he falls into these days.

Free Games Night

Student Union, Cellar, 9 p.m. to midnight

Bond with your sister over free Dance Dance Revolution, your dad over free pool, your brother over free racing and shooting games and your mom over all that family bonding. The Games Room in the Cellar on the bottom floor of the union offers free gaming for one night only.

Comedy Corner Special – Family Weekend Show

Student Union, Cellar, 10 p.m.

Comedy Corner is the nation’s oldest college sketch comedy troupe, comprised entirely of the UA’s funniest and bawdiest writers, actors and goofballs. The free show is focused entirely on the awkward hilarity of Family Weekend. If you need any more of that, stay up late for a night of improv, scripted comedy and laughter.