Hockey going to Oklahoma for a 3-game weekend

The No. 20 Arizona hockey team returns to the road after a six-game homestand to take on No. 18 Central Oklahoma in Canton, Okla., tonight at 6:30.

The Wildcats then face No. 7 Oklahoma in Norman, Okla., on Friday at 6:30 p.m. and again on Saturday at 3 p.m.

“Oklahoma is a good hockey team,” head coach Sean Hogan said. “We are going to have to step up our game to compete with them.”

Arizona has struggled against elite competition.

The Wildcats went 1-2-1 against now-No. 3 ASU and No. 6 Iowa State, both of which were on the road. However, they Wildcats are coming off a 5-1-0 homestand.

“We stepped up our game when we played Iowa State, we stepped up our game when we played Arizona State … we are right there, we just need to do it every single game,” Hogan said.

The Wildcats will have plenty of chances to display their ability in the upcoming weeks as well. The three games this weekend are the start of six straight against ranked opponents.

After the Oklahoma schools, the UA plays No. 5 Ohio at the start of December and then continues against ASU the next weekend.

However, before they even get to their series with Oklahoma, the UA still has to play Central Oklahoma.

“It’s going to be tough,” Hogan said. “It’s tough because Central Oklahoma is a good team. We are actually flying out (this morning) and playing (tonight), so we are going to see what we are made of.”