Review: ‘Mamma Mia’ is a must see event at Centennial Hall

Joan Marcus
    Promotional image for Mamma Mia! running at Centennial Hall Oct. 21-23.

Killer vocals, lively dancing and outstanding acting all take place during the captivating performance of “Mamma Mia!”

“Mamma Mia!,” presented by Broadway in Tucson in collaboration with UA Presents, opened Friday night at Centennial Hall located on the UA campus. This captivating, fun musical entertained all audience members as they helped sing along with the cast to ABBA’s famous songs “Dancing Queen,” “SOS,” “Super Trouper,” “Take A Chance On Me” and “The Winner Takes It All.” The cast mastered these classics to perfection and sounded beautiful singing each one.

“Mamma Mia!” tells the story of a young bride-to-be, Sophie, played by Lizzie Markson, who wishes to find her biological father to walk her down the aisle to marry her fiance Sky, played by Dustin Harris Smith.

The play begins with Sophie planning to accomplish her goal by sending wedding invitations to the three men she believes to be her father, based on an old diary she found from her mother. As Sophie sends the letters to her potential fathers, she sings the song “I Have a Dream.”

From the moment Sophie began to sing, she mesmerized the audience with her angelic voice and left the crowd excited for more.

“I loved Sophie’s voice,” said audience member Andrea Christensen. “She was by far my favorite of the night.”

RELATED: Grammy-winning artist plays at Centennial Hall

As Sophie’s plan began to play out, all three men came to Sophie’s town and back into her mother’s life. As Sophie formed relationships with each of her possible fathers, her mother fell back in love with one of them.

The show drew in a full house for the play’s first night here in Tucson, with nearly every seat filled. This beautifully crafted play kept the audience engaged and laughing the entire time.

The show contained numerous funny scenes that took place throughout the play, one of the most memorable being during the song “Lay All Your Love On Me” when an ensemble of men came onto the stage dancing extremely goofy in tight, cropped body suits and snorkel gear.

“I think the funniest part of the show was when the guys came out in the purple bodysuits and danced around Sophie and Sky,” said audience member Lisbeth Campos.

RELATED: ‘Flashdance: The Musical’ takes stage at Centennial Hall

“Mamma Mia!” ended with a fun dance party where the cast members came onto the stage and performed a few of the play’s most popular hits like “Dancing Queen” and “Mamma Mia.” This fun ending encouraged the entire audience to stand up and dance as the cast members danced on stage, which led to a standing ovation and the audience leaving jazzed.

This beautiful story, written by Catherine Johnson and filled with songs composed by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, is truly a must-see event. The show will run at Centennial Hall through Oct. 23. Tickets are available for purchase online and at the doors.

Follow Tori Hudson on Twitter.