Police Beat: Aug. 23

Give me that blade!

A woman was transported to a mental facility on Aug. 11 for attempting to harm herself. At approximately noon, the University of Arizona Police Department responded to 1541 E. University Blvd. in reference to two women fighting. Upon the officer’s arrival, another officer had already restrained one of the women after a short chase on foot. The women had taken the fight west down the UA Mall. Both women were soon detained near the benches at the intersection of University Boulevard and Cherry Avenue. 

One woman stated that she and her friend were walking down the Mall when her friend said she wanted to cut herself with a razor. In an effort to prevent this, the friend tackled the woman to the ground and threw the razor off into the grass. She told the officer she was “”just trying to keep her friend from harming herself.”” 

“”I’m going to kick your ass and stop you from doing this,”” the friend reportedly said. The woman complained of a swollen elbow and said she was under copious amounts of stress, wanting to cut herself in order to “”deal with it.”” 

No charges were filed. According to reports, the friends have known each other for almost 19 years and the woman later saw her friend as just wanting to help. The woman was transported to CODAC Behavioral Health, 127 S. 5th Ave. Her backpack with the razor and property were kept as evidence.

Easy as 1, 2, 3…

A UAPD officer observed a male driver littering at the intersection of Drachman Street and Mountain Avenue on Aug. 19 around 2:30 a.m. An alternate officer responded to the man’s residence on Mountain Avenue to conduct a DUI investigation. 

The man had bloodshot, watery eyes with a moderate odor of intoxicants. The man was driving home from Subway and said he felt “”perfectly normal.”” During the routine test for DUI cases, the man was unable to count the way the officer had instructed prior to the test. Instructions were to count upwards from 1,000 — the man counted to 1,019 and skipped to 2,000.   

The man was notified that he had violated the UA Code of Conduct, and was cited and released. 

Pornography and a pipe earn man a trip to jail

The Tucson Police Department arrested a man for two warrants of possession of drug paraphernalia.

Police responded to the UA Main Library on Aug. 18 in reference to a man viewing pornography in the public computer area around 3 p.m. The man noticed police when they arrived and quickly exited the site. After making contact with the man, an officer escorted him out of the library. The man already had two warrants out for shoplifting and criminal trespass to the third degree. While the officer waited for warrant confirmation, he noticed an object hanging outside the man’s pocket: a marijuana pipe. When the officer asked what he uses the pipe for, the man replied, “”to smoke weed.””

The man was taken to Pima County Jail where he was booked for his warrants.