Police Beat: November 19

Grand theft auto

Three men attempted to carjack a vehicle stopped at a red light on Nov. 10, the driver reported.
    She told University of Arizona Police Department officers that she was stopped at Speedway Boulevard and Campbell Avenue when three men approached her vehicle.

A man described as tall and wearing a blue and red button-down stood in front of her car while the other two went to either side of it. All of them were described as clean-cut and in their 20s, none of them appearing to be intoxicated. After several seconds, the man in front shouted, “Now!” and the other two tried to open the side and back doors.

The woman sped off, heading toward McKale Center in hopes of finding the police. There, she parked just west of the ticket center, where she told an officer about the attempted carjacking. The officer responded, “I’ll put it out.”

The woman returned to campus later that day, and asked UAPD for an update on the incident. The woman said she thought it was weird the officer hadn’t asked for her “name or anything.” While the woman was unable to identify the agency of the earlier cop, she was able to provide a description of his appearance.

The woman was then given information to contact TPD and advised to make a formal report.

Drunk and devouring Dibs

A Highland Market employee accused a UA student of drunkenly eating food she hadn’t paid for at 1:45 a.m. on Nov. 11.

The manager of the market told a UAPD officer that he’d found an empty cup of “Dibs” that he believed she’d already consumed.

As the manager went to review security footage, the officer went to the back of the market and approached a woman talking on her cellphone while eating a container of Dibs. The woman said she hadn’t paid for the package, but that it was her first.

The officer noticed the woman’s watery, red eyes and slurred speech before escorting her to the register to pay for the item. As the woman used the counter for balance, the manager told her about the other container of Dibs he’d located and she paid for both.

The officer then questioned the woman outside, where she told the officer she’d come from a party where she’d had three shots of vodka. She agreed to a portable breath test, but after three attempts was unable to provide a sufficient sample. During this time, the manager approached the two and said he’d found a third package of Dibs and security footage showing the woman had eaten them, to which she replied that she “loves these things.”

The woman was then asked to pay for the third package, but she said she didn’t have the money. She was cited and released on charges of a minor in possession, and she told the officer she was willing to go to her dorm and return to pay for the items.