Arizona baseball drops series against Oregon State

Courtesy of Arizona Baseball

Brian Jeffries (left) of Sports Radio 1290 AM, interviews Arizona coach Andy Lopez before Arizona’s 5-3 loss to Oregon State in Goss Stadium in Corvallis, Ore., on Sunday. The Wildcats lost the series 2-1 against the Beavers.

Arizona baseball lost its second road series in a row on Sunday, after suffering a 5-3 defeat at Oregon State on Sunday.

The Wildcats (24-13, 9-9 Pac-12 Conference) lost the first and third games against OSU to drop their seventh game of their last nine and lowered their road record to 4-5. Arizona had the top of the order up in the ninth inning on Sunday, but none even reached base as the Wildcats finished their road swing 2-4. Second baseman Scott Kingery saw his hitting streak end at 12 games.

The UA left nine men on base, was 3-for-15 with runners on and 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position.

Arizona utility player Bobby Dalbec (2-4) made his second start at pitcher, going 5.0 innings, giving up four hits, four runs and six walks, while striking out two. At the plate, Dalbec extended his hitting streak to 14 games.

The Beavers (25-12, 8-7) are 16-3 at home.

Arizona took the lead in the first inning when catcher Riley Moore drove in Kingery with a single.

However, the Beavers scored five runs to respond, off of a couple singles, a sacrifice fly and a home run.

In the eighth inning, Dalbec hit a solo home run, his 12th of the season and sixth in his last seven games.

Pinch hitter Michael Hoard got a sacrifice fly with the bases loaded and one out to cut the Beaver lead down further. However, center fielder Justin Behnke struck out looking to end the half inning.

On Saturday, the Wildcats evened the series, led by pitcher Nathan Bannister (6-1) in his first career start. Bannister gave up one run in 6.1 innings and surrendered six hits and two walks, while striking out five.

Kingery gave Arizona the lead in the fifth inning with a two-out, two-run single.

Dalbec hit a home run in the ninth and went 2-for-4. As of Saturday, Dalbec led the Pac-12 in homers.

Oregon State took the first lead in the fourth inning off of a home run by catcher Logan Ice, the first of his career.

Arizona closer Tyger Talley picked up his first save since April 2013. In his second appearance as closer this season, Talley threw 2.2 shutout innings, giving up one base hit and zero walks, but hitting one batter.

OSU starter Drew Rasmussen (4-3) took a no hitter into the fifth inning.

On Friday, OSU starter Andrew Moore (4-1) tossed a five-hit, complete game as the Beavers beat the Wildcats 3-1 to open the series. Moore gave up two walks, while striking out eight to get his first complete game of the season and the first thrown
against Arizona.

Cody Hamlin (4-2) started for Arizona and went 7.2 innings, giving up three runs on nine hits and one walk and striking out four. Ming got the Wildcats’ other out.

The one run was the Wildcats’ lowest output of the season. Through the April 16 games, Arizona was second in the country in batting, .324, .002 behind first place Morehead State.

The Wildcats scored their run in the fourth inning when Newman tripled, and Riley Moore drove him in with a single to tie the game up at 1-1.

OSU’s Ice hit a two-out, RBI double in the fourth and they scored an insurance run in the eighth.

In the sixth inning, the Wildcats got the bases loaded but couldn’t score, as Hoard struck out with two down.

Up next for the Wildcats is their first nonconference game against No. 8 ASU on Wednesday. The matchup with the Sun Devils begins a five-game home stand for the Wildcats.

_______________

Follow James Kelley on Twitter.