Silver Stars pick Wildcats women’s hoops star Davellyn Whyte in WNBA draft

Tyler Besh
Tyler Besh / Arizona Daily Wildcat Women’s basketball lose eigth straight against Colorado

The San Antonio Silver Stars selected former Arizona women’s basketball star Davellyn Whyte with the 16th pick in the 2013 WNBA Draft, the highest a Wildcat has ever been chosen.

The Silver Stars picked Whyte with the fourth choice in the second round.

“I’m so excited about the opportunity to play for San Antonio,” Whyte said in a press release. “I’m willing to work hard and do what I have to do. I am looking forward to taking everything I learned and everything I have been doing at Arizona to San Antonio.”

The previous high UA pick was Ify Ibekwe, who was the 24th selection in 2011. Whyte is the seventh Wildcat to be drafted by the WNBA.

“This is an exciting time for Davellyn and our program,” UA head coach Niya Butts said in a press release. “We are very proud of her and what she has done for our program and we wish her well.”

Last season, the Silver Stars went 21-13, finished third in the western conference and were swept in the first round of the playoffs by the Los Angeles Sparks.

“She’s a high energy player for Arizona, she can play that wing, that perimeter position,” said Carolyn Peck, ESPN analyst on the air. “She’ll rebound for you as well.”

The Silver Stars are led by 5-6 Becky Hammon and ESPN analyst Rebecca Lobo said that the 5-11 Whyte will add size.