Police Beat: May 5

Fake gun, fake ‘gangbanger’

University of Arizona Police Department officers received reports on Friday at 9:56 p.m. about a suspicious man by the basketball courts behind the Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall.

The students making the report said the man had a pistol tucked into the waistband of his pants.

Four officers arrived to the courts, but the man with the gun was not in the area. The student had reported the man’s name and said he lived in Graham-Greenlee Residence Hall.

The officers went to the man’s dorm room, but there was no answer. They explained the situation to the man’s resident assistant and advised him to call UAPD if he returned to the room.

Before the officers left the building, the RA called and told them that the man was back in his room.

The officers went back to the room and knocked on the door. They could hear movement inside the room and continued knocking until he finally opened the door.

One of the officers told the man to put his hands in the air and get down on his knees. At the same time, another man in the room also was ordered to get on the ground.

The man was handcuffed and asked if he had a gun on him. The man said he didn’t, and the officer noticed a toy pistol sitting on the man’s desk.

The man told the officers that he was going to a party and had been dressed up like a “”gangbanger.”” The man had also drawn several tattoos on his skin including a large “”13″” on his neck.

The other man in the room was released because he had just gone to the room to watch movies.

The officers explained UA policies regarding weapons and fake weapons and explained the reasons they reacted the way they did.

The community director arrived to the room and explained to the man that a group of girls reported him because they thought he had a gun and that he was entering the building to potentially shoot someone.

The toy gun was confiscated and submitted to UAPD property to be destroyed.

A Code of Conduct referral was completed and submitted to the Dean of Students.

Feces trail leads to drunk woman

A UAPD officer arrived at the Coronado Residence Hall on Friday at 2:36 a.m. in reference to someone having defecated on herself.

The officer met with an on-duty RA, who said that someone reported an intoxicated woman.

The officer found the woman sitting outside her dorm room in the hallway and identified her by her CatCard.

The woman appeared sick. Her face was flushed, she had bloodshot eyes and her arms were folded over her stomach. She was also complaining of nausea and light-headedness.

Tucson Fire Department paramedics were called to the scene. The woman said she had four shots of vodka in a friend’s dorm room in the Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall. After leaving the room, she said she went to a party off-campus but would not say where.

The woman told the officer that she did not remember leaving the party and only remembers being woken up by her friend, who also lives in Coronado.

The officer spoke with the friend, and she said she arrived back to her room at 2 a.m. and noticed a strong odor of feces coming from the bathroom.

She went into the bathroom and saw feces all over the toilet, trashcan and floor. She said there was also a trail of feces leading to the woman’s room.

When the friend got to the woman’s room, she found her passed out on her bed. She woke her up and called the on-duty RA.

The woman told the officer that she knows she is not supposed to drink alcohol because she has a history of indigestion problems and this was the first time she had drunk in a long time.

Paramedics advised that she be transported to University Medical Center, but the woman refused and said she had a doctor’s appointment that week.

The officer cited and released the woman for minor in possession.

Vodka and vomit

A UAPD officer was on patrol in the area of Park Avenue and Lowell Street on Saturday at 11:20 p.m. when he saw two women on the south side of the Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall. He stopped to perform a welfare check.

One of the women was lying on the ground with her head against a chain link fence. The other woman was trying to help her up.

The officer asked the woman if she knew the person lying on the ground. She said, “”No. I was just trying to help her get up.””

The officer spoke with the woman on the ground and could smell a strong amount of alcohol on her breath. He asked her if she had been drinking and she said, “”Yes, vodka.””

When the officer asked her if she needed medical attention she said, “”I’m OK, I don’t need help.””

The officer asked the woman to sit up, and, when she did, she immediately started throwing up.

Tucson Fire Department paramedics were called to the scene to evaluate the woman. They advised the officer that she be transported to UMC.

At 4:25 a.m., the officer arrived to UMC to check on the status of the woman. She was alert and apologetic for her behavior.

The officer cited the woman for minor in possession, and a Code of Conduct referral was sent to the Dean of Students.