Police Beat: Jan. 14

Pizza, anyone?

On Jan. 8, UAPD officers responded to a UA professor reporting that a man had been using a UA building’s first floor area as a social lounge. Students told the professor that the man had come to the area more than once between 6 p.m. and midnight and had also invited friends.

A UA faculty member reported that during the evening the man and his friends ordered pizza to the lounge and stayed for several hours.

There is no information as to whether the man is allowed in the building or is a member of the UA community.

Vandalists are ‘Back in the U.S.S.R.’

A faculty member called UAPD Jan. 11 to report damage to three windows in the James E. Rogers College of Law building.

All of the windows were scratched and broken.

The officer reported “”USSR”” was scratched into one of the windows and two unidentifiable pictures were scratched into the other windows.  Police have no leads at this time.

Man’s pipe winters in Arizona

On Jan. 11, UAPD was called to the Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall after a resident assistant detected the odor of marijuana coming from one of the rooms.

The two students living in the room said they did not smell anything and had no idea why there was an odor or where it would be coming from.

They allowed the officer to search the room. The search uncovered a red and black pipe in the desk drawer with a burnt substance in it.

The student said the pipe was used twice over winter break at his home in California and that he had not used it while in Arizona.

The officer took the pipe as evidence and the incident was reported to the Dean of Students Office.

Man ‘swerves’ into racism claims    

On Jan. 8, UAPD pulled over a Chevrolet Blazer traveling down Euclid Avenue at more than 60 mph in a 35 mph area.

The car was swerving in and out of the lanes and almost hit the curb several times. The driver drove a half mile before pulling over for police.

The man smelled like alcohol and did not know why he was being pulled over, but claimed it was “”because he was Mexican.”” Police noticed the man had bloodshot eyes and was sweating and slurring his words.

The officer reported the man as saying he had consumed three to four beers.

After being removed from his vehicle, the man refused to cooperate with the officer in completing the sobriety tests. Throughout testing and questioning, he continued to call the officers racist.

The man’s car was towed and he was taken to jail.

Intoxicated man calls out cop

On Jan. 1, a UAPD officer reported being called over by a man walking through the Student Recreation Center parking lot.

The man approached the officer and began to yell “”Fuck you, cop. Fuck you! You fucking cops don’t do shit!””

The officer left the scene and called for another officer to check up on the man.

Another UAPD officer arrived and asked the man if he had been drinking. He said he had been drinking on Fourth Avenue and decided to cut through the lot.

The officer reported the man already had an Exclusionary Order on all UA property.

The man was arrested for trespassing.