Police Beat: November 28

No slap on the wrist this time

A man was arrested after interrupting a performance at the Stevie Eller Dance Theatre by announcing he had the cure for cancer in a bottle at 9:01 p.m. on Nov. 17. The University of Arizona Police Department was notified about a man making disturbances, causing the performance to be stopped.

When UAPD arrived at the theater, they located someone who matched the description of the man wearing blue medical garments in the lobby. Earlier that day, at 2:38 p.m., the non-UA affiliated man was issued a warning not to return to the theater after cursing and making masturbation gestures at a dance group. He was told any subsequential appearances would lead to his arrest.

When a UAPD officer handcuffed the man, asking if he remembered this initial warning, he replied with an unrelated tangent.

The man continued expressing random thoughts throughout his interaction with UAPD, up until being placed in the Pima County Adult Detention Center. The man was arrested on charges of criminal trespassing and given a six-month exclusionary order from campus.

Breaking bad bike thiefs

A UAPD officer arrested a man on charges of possessing drug paraphernalia, which were used to smoke methamphetamine, near Arbol de la Vida Residence Hall at 12:30 a.m. on Nov. 19.

A UAPD officer noticed the non-UA affiliate tampering with bikes outside the dorm before riding away after an officer’s attempt to contact him. He was then located and spoken to at a nearby corner.

The man said he understood why police would want to speak with him, adding that the bike he was riding was his girlfriend’s. A partially unzipped black backpack the man was wearing exposed an orange wire cutter inside the bag. Throughout the conversation, the man changed his story as to why he was on campus, and appeared nervous.

The officer patted the man down to ensure safety, revealing a glass pipe. The suspect was read his Miranda Rights before telling the officer he had used the pipe for smoking methamphetamine. Additionally, a search of his bag uncovered a bolt cutter and a small band saw.

UAPD reached the man’s girlfriend, who only identified herself by first name, but was able to provide an accurate description of the man’s bike. The bike was given back to the man, and he was cited and released on charges of possessing drug paraphernalia.