ASUA Notebook 9/15/2021: Senator Jordan-Isaiah Toyos elected senate president

%28Illustration+by+Pascal+Albright%29+
(Illustration by Pascal Albright)

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona, the university’s undergraduate student governing body, met on Wednesday, Sept. 15, to elect this year’s senate president.

The meeting was called to order at 7:01 p.m. and adjourned at 7:20 p.m. The Senate gathered in the Madera room of the Student Union Memorial Center and over Zoom.

According to ASUA’s post-meeting minutes, two senators were marked absent during roll call: Jack Haskins, senator for the College of Fine Arts, and Swathi Ramkumar, senator for the College of Engineering.

Senate President Elected

The senate voted for Jordan-Isaiah Toyos, an at-large senator, to be the senate president for this year. He ran against Lady Elli, an at-large senator, and won with a six-to-one vote.

The candidates each had around a minute to present why they wanted the position. They then left the room and the remaining senators voted on who they wanted to fill the position.

“I would love to learn more and more this year,” Toyos said, “… and after looking at the meetings and assisting with everything else I would love to represent [the senate].” This is his first year on the ASUA Senate.

Office Hours with Chomsky 

Ally Devereux, ASUA executive vice president, announced that Noam Chomsky, laureate professor of Linguistics, will do a virtual office hours Sept. 28 at 4 p.m.. This is the second annual office hours with Chomsky where students can participate in a live Q&A session with him.

Chomsky is considered one of the most influential public intellectuals in the world, according to the UA Department of Linguistics website. He joined the UA in 2017.

“Since he’s known for linguistics and politics it usually is centered around [those topics], but it’s really tailored around what the students want,” Devereux said. She will be moderating the Q&A for the second time.

Campus Closet Co-Directors Hired

Kayla Randolph and Citlali Chimal were hired as co-directors of Campus Closet. The application was posted on Handshake for two weeks.

Kyle Kline, ASUA administrative vice president, said they were hired because “together they had a diverse skill set to meet not only distribution needs, but also marketing for the program.”

Notable Mentions

Noah Vega, ASUA student body president, updated the senate on the UAZ Divest resolution. He said he will be meeting with heads of the UA Foundation to discuss next steps for divesting from fossil fuels. 

Follow Jane Florance on Twitter