Lawsuit claims UA football players gang-raped students and staff members

Carmen Valencia

University of Arizona football helmets sit in a row before the start of the press conference to introduce head football coach, Kevin Sumlin. 

An amendment to a federal Title IX lawsuit against the University of Arizona alleges that multiple Wildcat football players gang-raped both female students and staff members, according to a report by the Arizona Daily Star. 

The original lawsuit was filed by one of Orlando Bradford’s ex-girlfriends in October, saying that the UA showed “deliberate indifference” to years of violent behavior and abuse by the former Wildcat running back. In November, Bradford was sentenced to five years in prison after pleading guilty to two counts of federal aggravated assault. 

This month, a federal judge granted permission to amend the original lawsuit, which includes claims of gang rape. The lawsuit alleges that the UA prioritized the success of the football team over the safety of its students. 

Former head coach Rich Rodriguez was fired on Jan. 2, 2018, following a $7.5 million hostile work environment claim and accusations of sexual assault by his former assistant. 

For more information, take a look at the Daily Wildcat’s timeline of the events leading up to Bradford’s arrest and sentencing. 

A timeline of events according to two federal lawsuits against the University of Arizona filed on behalf of two of Orlando Bradford's victims. Compiled by Jasmine Demers. Graphic by Lindsey Otto.
A timeline of events according to two federal lawsuits against the University of Arizona filed on behalf of two of Orlando Bradford’s victims. Compiled by Jasmine Demers. Graphic by Lindsey Otto.

Follow Jasmine Demers on Twitter