Stories to know … because they’ll happen whether you like them or not

Months from now, the economy will still suck. Illegal immigrants will continue to evade the law, while political extremists evade leadership. Experts of all kinds will predict the world’s doom. But if you can stomach it, you’re going to want to stay up to date this semester.

Knowing what’s coming trumps ignorance. Keep an eye on these headlines.

National

BP: Although a cap placed over the Deepwater Horizon well has stemmed the oil spilling into the Gulf of Mexico, its impact continues to be felt in the area’s fishing and tourism industries. It could take decades for the area to recover environmentally and economically.

2010 midterm elections: There are fewer than 100 days left until Nov. 2, when 36 Senate seats and all the seats in the House of Representatives will be contested. The next few months will have leaders on their toes to avoid any risks to their positions. Meanwhile, challengers will be sure to cater to frustrated voters, particularly those who expected faster economic recovery.

Arizona

Gubernatorial elections: Elections for governors are being held in 37 states, including Arizona, this year. Current Governor Jan Brewer is seeking a full term, but will first face Matthew Jette in the Republican primary on Aug. 24. Current state attorney general Terry Goddard is unopposed for the Democratic nomination. The winner will then be given the privilege of shaping Arizona (and perhaps national) immigration policy for years to come.

The ongoing SB 1070 conflict: As July 29, the day SB 1070 takes effect, approaches, you won’t be able to pull your eyes away from this train wreck. As this legislative battle carries on, lawmakers will attempt to define the roles of state and national government in immigration reform and law enforcement. Commentators on the Arizona Daily Star’s website will attempt to turn every single article in the paper into a partisan battle about Mexicans.

University of Arizona

The High Honors Tuition Scholarship (also called the AIMS Scholarship): Every high school student in Arizona knows that by excelling on the Arizona Instrument for Measuring Standards test and earning As and Bs, they can be awarded a renewable scholarship that equals the cost of tuition. Although the Arizona Board of Regents tabled proposals to alter the scholarship in July, state universities can no longer find the room in their budgets to support it. Changes are likely a necessity.

Construction: Planning, Design and Construction at the UA continues to aim to improve campus facilities and sustainability. Solar energy panels for the Second Street Garage, Student Recreation Center, McClelland Hall, McClelland Park and Hillenbrand Aquatic Center will be installed by October. The new Sixth Street Residence Halls should be finished in early 2011.

— Kristina Bui is a journalism major. She can be reached at arts@wildcat.arizona.edu