Award-winning poet to read at UA

Award-winning poet Peter Gizzi wasn’t always as successful as he is now.

As a young adult, Gizzi put a hold on attending college and worked in a factory, in a treatment facility and as a waiter. But as fate would have it, poetry and Gizzi found one another, and he later obtained degrees from New York University, Brown University, and the State University of New York at Buffalo.

The Poetry Center prepared for Gizzi’s reading by hosting a Shop Talk Monday, giving the audience a chance to meet the poet and discuss his latest book, “”The Outernationale.”” However, students and members of the Tucson community will have another opportunity to experience Gizzi’s work. He will read for the UA Poetry Center Reading Series Feb. 26 at 8 p.m. in the Poetry Center.

“”The audience can expect to hear Gizzi’s poems read that involve responses to everyday life and larger issues,”” said Gail Browne, the executive director of the Poetry Center.

While living in New York City as a young adult, Gizzi was drawn to the rising punk scene. His interest in the poetry world spiked once he discovered a bright pink cover and the diagonal print of the British literary magazine Blast. He picked up a copy and read the manifestos. His poetry has since been inspired.

“”Gizzi has a lot to say about our world,”” Browne said. “”His writing is interesting and, in some ways, popular, engaging and compelling.””.

Gizzi has written and published several books of poetry including, “”Periplum,”” “”Artificial Heart,”” “”Some Values of Landscape and Weather”” and the chapbook “”Hours of the Book.”” Several pieces of his work have been translated into several different languages.

“”Peter Gizzi is able to write postmodern, contemporary work from a current-day perspective, while also maintaining traditional form,”” Browne said.

Gizzi’s success can be measured in the awards he has received. In 1994, Gizzi was awarded the Lavan Younger Poets Award from the Academy of American Poets. He has also received fellowships from numerous foundations, such as the Rex Foundation, the Howard Foundation, The Foundation for Contemporary Performance Arts, and the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation.