MLK Jr. Day events to make you feel good inside

It’s been more than 40 years since the man with the dream made a speech, urging people worldwide to live as neighbors. National observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day is Monday and there are many events in the Tucson area commemorating his life’s work.

Take the Second Annual Martin Luther King Day Film Projét, for instance. Held at The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd., at 5:30 p.m., this free film screening features 15 films, each no more than five minutes long, centering around the theme “”Beloved Community.”” UA alumna and event coordinator Dorian Townsend said she’s excited about the event.

“”We’ve accepted submissions from both youth (high school) and adults … and all of the submissions are great,”” she said. The top prize for participating filmmakers will be a “”Film Saguaro”” designed by the local nonprofit organization Bicycle Intercommunity Art and Salvage .

Townsend is also involved with other National Day of Service projects through her position as mentoring and partnership development coordinator for the Volunteer Center of Southern Arizona. She said the Volunteer Center will be hosting a number of projects with the general theme of mentoring. For more information,  visit www.volunteersoaz.org.

You too can join in on the National Day of Service and commit your “”day off”” to doing something good. Here’s a brief summary of the day’s events around the city:

Jan. 18:

8 – 10 a.m. Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom March

Beginning at Old Main, the march goes down Campbell Road to Broadway Boulevard, ending at Reid Park’s DeMeester Performance Center, 900 S. Randolph Way. Bring your friends, co-workers or campus clubs along for the unity-building march.

10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Martin Luther King Jr. Festival Celebration

Held at the DeMeester Performance Center, this festival features performances, speeches, on-site service projects, food and more. If you don’t get up in time for the march, take some time out to join the festival crowd.

Jan. 19:

2 – 4 p.m. and Jan. 20: 5 – 7 p.m.

Viewing and critical reflection of “”The Garden””

In honor of MLK Jr. Day of Service, there will be a viewing of “”The Garden,”” an Academy Award-nominated 2009 documentary about the transformation of a destructed inner-city neighborhood in Los Angeles, Calif., into a productive and successful community garden. Hosted by the Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health. Drachman Hall, 1295 N. Martin Ave., room A-119 on Jan. 19 and room A-118 on Jan. 20.