“UA Grad works for MTV, calls job ‘killer,’ ‘rad'”

Like many people, Tanvi Patel enjoyed watching MTV during her teenage years. Now she is working as the director of strategic development for MTV Networks.

Patel graduated from the UA in 2000 with a degree in finance, and has been working with MTV Networks for about three years.

“”It’s a lot different now than it was when I grew up,”” she said. “”It has grown a lot since then.””

Patel said MTV used to play only music videos, but now it has evolved to include reality television shows because that is what its audience wants. 

Patel helps develop strategic partnerships for MTV’s various networks. She works with MTV2, which has a higher male audience, mtvU, which caters to college students, MTV Tr3s, which is geared toward Hispanic viewers, and MTV Hits and MTV Jams, which focus on music videos. She said her job is to bring in new content and revenue for the network.

“”Every day is a little different,”” she said. “”For the most part I try to focus on building and developing the other networks.””

In a typical day, Tanvi said she meets with clients. She works with on-air content, such as television programming; on-ground content, such as concerts; MTV events such as Spring Break; and online and mobile content.

Patel said her job requires many different skills.

“”One of the main things is assessing opportunities,”” she said. It is important to be able to judge which prospects are worth pursuing, Patel said. She also said it is necessary to understand finances so she can determine which companies would make good partners. Finally, Patel said her job requires her to have good presentation skills so she can effectively communicate her ideas to her managers.    

Patel said there are some challenges in working for a large company, but she enjoys that her job allows her to be innovative. “”Maybe there’s an opportunity to work together (with a company) but it’s just not clear cut,”” she said. “”The creative part is figuring out how we can work together.””     

Nicole Graff, who graduated from UA in May 2009 with a degree in business marketing, worked with Patel as a UA campus representative for mtvU and then as an intern for MTV Networks in Manhattan. Graff called Patel intelligent and creative.

“”She was a great role model as well as a great supporter,”” Graff said. “”She’s always on the next step, always thinking outside the box.””

Graff said she has kept in touch with Patel since finishing her internship.

“”We created a good work relationship as well as a friendship,”” she said. “”As a friend, she’s someone who is willing to help others to gain the same success she’s gained,”” Graff said.

Patel is originally from Scottsdale, and now lives in Manhattan. After she graduated from the UA, Patel went to graduate school at the University of Maryland where she studied business management and strategy. She then received her MBA in business from New York University.

During this time she began to do consulting work for media and wireless companies, but decided to switch gears.

“”I wanted a little more stability with less travel,”” she said. Patel said her job now is a more relaxed environment.

“”It’s a very young culture which keeps you young too,”” she said. “”I’m definitely looking forward to growing here.””