Arizona Soccer falls to Oregon in extra time

Arizonas+junior+defender+Morgan+Mcgarry+passes+the+ball+up+to+the+forwards+during+the+game+against+Washington+State+on+Sunday%2C+Oct+21+at+Mulcahy+Stadium.+The+final+score+was+a+2-1+win+for+the+wildcats.++
Lexi Horsey
Arizona’s junior defender Morgan Mcgarry passes the ball up to the forwards during the game against Washington State on Sunday, Oct 21 at Mulcahy Stadium. The final score was a 2-1 win for the wildcats.

Arizona let one get away on Sunday as they dropped their fifth game of the season after losing 1-0 to Oregon in extra time. 

Coming off a 3-0 win against Oregon State in Corvallis on Thursday, the ‘Cats were unable to break through and find the back of the net in Eugene. 

Arizona had opportunities to score but could not capitalize on several occasions. 

A few seconds into the opening whistle sophomore Jada Talley managed to slip a ball by the defender to teammate Amanda Porter, whose shot was just a tad right of the net. 

RELATED: Arizona soccer celebrates seniors at last home game

The Wildcats finished with 12 shots to Oregon’s 10. Arizona tallied five shots on goal while the Ducks ended with four. Porter’s missed opportunity could have been the difference in the game for the Wildcats. 

Arizona looked to be the aggressor from the beginning, but to Oregon’s credit they did a nice job of countering the ‘Cats style of play with physicality. Arizona outnumbered the Ducks statistically in corner kicks and shots by period, but it was not enough to earn the victory.

In the 94th minute Oregon’s forward, Bayley Bruner scored the winning goal off an assist from teammates Emma Eddy and Chardonnay Curan. Curan set a ball flying into the box where Eddy was able to gather it with her left foot, placing a perfect pass to an incoming Bruner, who finished the play launching the ball past a leaping Lainey Burdett. 

RELATED: The family tailgate you’ve never heard of

The Wildcats continue to be in the hunt to make the tournament but will need to finish the season strong. 

Arizona wraps up its regular season on Nov. 2 as they travel west of Tucson and take on in-state rival Arizona State in Tempe. 

Follow Alex Munoz on Twitter