UA ways to keep 2012 New Year’s Resolutions

The holidays are over and the new year is upon us. Chances are most of us have already cheated on our diets once or twice, skipped a visit to the gym or forgotten to carry that holiday spirit with us at least once since we made those resolutions at the end of 2011.

So to get you back on track, the Daily Wildcat staff has put together some ways for you to keep (or restart) those resolutions the UA way, with on-campus, on-smartphone, on-college-budget and on-time solutions.

Get Fit

Remodeled and featuring a heated outdoor pool, racquetball and squash courts, ellipticals, an indoor track and sand volleyball, the Student Recreation Center is the no-duh place to go to re-energize or frankly just start that workout regimen for this year.

Be warned: This month the Rec will be filled wall-to-wall with people who want to lose weight in the new year.

In order to stay motivated and make it past January with a new workout regimen, here are some tips:

­­Start small: If a treadmill regimen seems like the way to go, start with the stairs and not the elevator when going to class or heading to the dorms. Then start a gym regimen, filled with rest days, some weight lifting and “cheat days” to ease into the new lifestyle.

Fit the exercise to the body: For petite women, heavy cardio exercises ramp up appetite and make that hungry feeling even stronger, a killer effect of trying to shed weight. Try circuit training with bursts of cardio, and remember to do active recovery as well as warmups and cool downs to make sure the workouts are safe.

Care about the look, not the scale: Don’t constantly step on the scale. It’s a killer for motivation to go to the gym or head out on that morning run (and the motivation is usually the hardest to conjure up months after that resolution was made).

If a little mobile motivation would help keep those resolutions as well, try the Lose It! application, which lets users set daily calorie budgets and maintain them by logging food and exercise habits. The app even has a bank of foods (and each food’s corresponding nutritional values) to help those interested in shedding pounds.

If you go

What: Student Recreation Center
    Where: 1400 E. Sixth St.
    Hours: Monday – Thursday:
    6 a.m. – Midnight
    Friday: 6 a.m. – 11 p.m.
    Saturday: 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
    Sunday: 10 a.m. – Midnight

If you buy

Lose It! application
    Price: Free
    Device: Android, iPhone or desktop

Get Cultured

Tucson holds an impressive span of cultural delights for those willing to spend the time tripping around the city. Both on campus and off there is a wealth of ways to expand proverbial horizons for the new year.

Arizona Repertory Theatre: An on-campus company of students working toward bachelors of fine arts in acting and musical theater that performs shows frequently throughout the semester. The theater’s newest show, “Necessary Targets,” is set to open next month.

Stevie Eller Dance Theatre: With a nationally competitive dance program, the Stevie Eller Dance Theatre houses performances by student dancers who are soon-to-be professionals. “Love Notes,” a dance show performed in collaboration with the UA Poetry Center, will debut around Valentine’s Day, commemorating the holiday of love as well as Arizona’s statehood in a unique performance.

UA Philharmonic Orchestra: For a little classical music, head to the UA’s School of Music and the UA’s Philharmonic Orchestra performance in late February.

Off campus: For those itching to get off campus, there are tons of options. Try some of these: the Tucson Museum of Art, the Museum of Contemporary Art or the Loft Cinema. Once you get there, try using the Google Goggles app to identify the art in front of you, and impress your friends with your newfound sense of culture.

But if the question is just figuring out where the art is, or even what art is, try the Is This Art? app for iPhone. Made for people trying to assess the artistic value of the everyday, simply snapping a picture of a stained-glass window, a mural or a crack in the sidewalk will elicit an answer from the app.

If you go

Arizona Repertory Theatre, Stevie Eller Dance Theatre and UA Philharmonic Orchestra schedules and locations can be found through the UA College of Fine Arts’ webpage:

web.cfa.arizona.edu under “CFA Event Calendar.”

If you buy

Is This Art? application
    Price: Free
    Device: iPhone

If you buy

Google Goggles
    Price: Free
    Device: Android and iPhone

Get Thrifty

College students are always on a tight budget. Keeping track of expenses — so that meal plan actually makes it all the way to May — might be the best resolution for this year. There’s no harm in saving a little extra money here and there, and knowing the deals and coupons can help.

Campus coupons: Especially at the beginning of the semester, campus coupon books are everywhere. It’s hard to stop for people shilling things on the street, especially since usually there’s also at least one evangelical from some religious group nearby, trying to convert hellbound students. But in those coupon books are unlimited coupons, which means you can continue to use them all semester by going online. Unlimited coupons, unlimited savings.

For a mobile solution, try The Coupons App. It uses a barcode scanner to help shoppers compare prices at different stores as well as aggregates the best coupons to deliver them straight to the phone.

If you buy

The Coupons App
    Price: Free
    Device: Android and iPhone