“Editorial: ASUA, your ridiculous is showing”

College kids have short attention spans. We leap from window to window on computer screens, condense our thoughts into short status updates and 140 characters, get bored half an hour into an hour-long class.

So the fact that the Associated Students of the University of Arizona presidential election has dragged on for nearly a month means we’re done. It was interesting. Then we ran out of tequila over spring break. By the time we switched to vodka, it was old news.

So this editorial would probably be easier and faster to read and write if it were just a bullet pointed shit list of everything that is wrong with ASUA.

• It sucks.
  • No one cares.
  • Only people in ASUA care.
  • They don’t care about anything I care about.
  • It’s inefficient, careless and just really quite annoying.
  • When it’s not annoying, it’s just boring.
  • It sucks.

These are all arguably true points, depending on your perspective, which is to say, depending on whether you’re inside or outside of ASUA. But they simplify the issues. Calling ASUA a “”flawed organization”” hardly does its problems justice.

ASUA elections continue to flounder. Meanwhile, tonight we can look forward to hanging out on the UA Mall, watching it “”light up with the hope of hundreds when student musicians and artists, living and learning in the vibrant Tucson community, have the opportunity to showcase their individuality.””

This cheesy, overwrought prose is brought to you by Tanzbodeli, Sen. Taylor Bilby’s pet project. Despite a perfectly admirable goal of raising funds for breast cancer research, a “”music and art festival”” that relies on pretty flowers and quotes by Bono on Tumblr feels like a cheap distraction.

Here’s another list of problems:

• The problems of the ASUA presidential election
  • Shenanigans resulting from ASUA’s Elections Code
  • ASUA’s Elections Code
  • The disqualification of both candidates
  • The misunderstood reach of the Family and Educational Rights Privacy Act
  • The back-and-forth, he-said-she-said nature of the ASUA Supreme Court hearings
  • Elections Commissioner Michael Colletti’s bizarre determination to uphold the disqualification of James Allen, despite the court’s ruling

According to Colletti’s written statement to ASUA’s Supreme Court, Allen’s actions were “”severely detrimental to the election process”” and therefore it would be unethical to reinstate his candidacy status. ASUA will have to hold a special election to “”keep the integrity of the elections intact,”” Colletti wrote.

Colletti is fully within his rights to uphold Allen’s disqualification, as the Elections Code’s Violation Guide gives him a broad ability to decide to disqualify candidates for certain violations. This does not mean Colletti is justified; it just means an earlier and equally thoughtless manifestation of ASUA gave him powers he shouldn’t have. Why bother having an ASUA Supreme Court if an appointed official (and we’re playing fast and loose with that term) can just ignore its rulings? Basically, what is the point of any of this?

This is starting to feel like a comedy sketch. More accurately, it’s like a drawn-out, awkward stand-up comedy routine where no one in the audience is laughing.

How much longer can this go on? With just a few weeks left to go until the end of the semester, who will be concerned with voting in an ASUA special election?

A “”music and art festival”” sounds like way more fun, but it would be great if ASUA tackled its own problems before it tried to approach cancer.

— Editorials are determined by the Daily Wildcat editorial board and written by one of its members. They are Kristina Bui, Ken Contrata, Michelle A. Monroe and Heather Price-Wright. They can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.