Police Beat: November 22

This and that

A non-UA affiliated man was booked into Pima County Jail on Nov. 15 after University of Arizona Police Department officers noticed he failed to stop at two stop signs while riding a bike on campus.

Officers stopped the man, who when questioned, said the bike belonged to his friend “Jenny.” One of the officers sent a records check and discovered the man had two prior warrants for a both a misdemeanor and felony.

An officer then searched the backpack and found a 15 inch small axe, as well as a fixed blade knife about 3.5 inches long.

The officer also discovered a syringe filled with an unidentified liquid. The assisting officer found a small piece of paper filled with a white crystallized substance in the man’s backpack.

A test showed the powder was positive for methamphetamine, though the amount was so minuscule the man was not charged.

He was then booked into the Pima County Jail for his prior warrents and his bike was taken as found property.

Unlucky circumstances

On Nov. 14 around 5 p.m., a UA student reported a lost phone to UAPD.

The student said she left her iPhone 4S in a Drachman Hall bathroom before class, but when she went back for it, the phone was gone.

The student then went to the Drachman Hall front desk to check with lost and found, but had no luck.

She told UAPD she had only had her phone for five days as it was a gift from her sister.

Her phone was not protected at the time of the theft, so she used the “Find My Phone” app on her iPad to track the location of her phone.

She also sent a message to her phone saying that it was lost and to contact her, as well as called it multiple times.

The app allowed the student to track her phone via live updates, as it was traveling to locations around Tucson and to a location in Marana.

As the UAPD officer was speaking to her, her phone was in a Walmart parking lot and headed toward the downtown Tucson area from Interstate 10.

She reported the stolen phone to the Marana Police Department, who said that it would not investigate the phone’s location for information because the Walmart parking lot was too crowded.

The student received a case number and was told she would be mailed her victim’s rights. No further questions or information was given at the time.