Successful lake outing for Tricats

Twelve Arizona TriCat members had a successful outing at the Powell3 Triathlon at Lake Powellon Saturday, despite organizational issues.

“”It was a good race, but unfortunately, it wasn’t very organized in terms of the timing and everything,”” said sophomore TriCat Neil Segel, who took seventh overall in the intermediate men’s division. “”But for now, I think the team standings are tentatively UC Boulder in first, then we (Arizona) were second, with the Air Force behind us, then NAU, ASU and BYU.””

Official team results were yet to be posted as of Sunday afternoon, but at the individual level, the Tricats were content with their performance.

“”No crazy crashes — it was all pretty successful,”” Segel said. “”My goal was 2:10 and I finished 2:10:15, 15 seconds off my goal. I was really happy with that even though the finish line was a little iffy.””

Segel finished first for Arizona, followed closely by teammate Nick Ahrendt, who came in 14th overall. On the women’s side, Claire Moty and Jaclyn Applegate placed first and second for the TriCats, sixth and seventh places overall.

The Powell course was fast and wide open for the team, as the track allowed the athletes room to really haul on the bikes over a relatively flat surface without hills or other obstacles.

“”Bike was extremely fast — I got up to I think 46 miles per hour at one point. It was like a flying bike,”” Segel said. “”And the swim was pretty good — not too long or too short. I think it was right on point.””

After the race, the TriCats took full advantage of the lake environment and relaxed on the beach with the other triathlete teams.

“”We stayed for the awards ceremony for a while and then camped out on the beach and it was (Arizona), NAU and Boulder. We just hung out and had a party on the beach,”” Segel said. “”It was awesome. I learned 20 new names and I’ll see these guys again at (Lake) Havasu and at Nationals. You definitely meet some friendly people.””