Professors’ textbook pledge will increase buy-backs

Rodney Haas / Arizona Daily Wildcat
Rodney Haas
Rodney Haas / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Professors who pledged to submit their next semester textbooks on deadline to increase student buy-back opportunities were honored on Thursday.

Daniel Fitzgibbon, a business economics student and academic affairs director for Associated Students of the University of Arizona, hosted the brunch. Five of the 40 professors who made the pledge attended the event.

Each year, professors are asked to submit a list of the textbooks they will use in the following semester. If professors turn in their booklist by April 20, the UofA Bookstore can immediately add the selected books to the buy-back list, and students can receive more money for their book. If professors fail to notify the Bookstore on time, the UofA Bookstore will buy books back at a dramatically reduced price because it is not guaranteed to be used next semester. Compliance by professors also gives students more access to the textbook rental program that is incorporated at the UA Main Library.

“”What we’re trying to do is give students greater opportunities,”” Schafer said.

The effort was planned last semester by ASUA in collaboration with several faculty members.

Nearly half of UA professors fail to meet the deadline, one of the worst rates in the nation, according to Schafer. Students must resort to buying textbooks from other sources, often located out of state.

Schafer reminded attendees that UA students, faculty, and the Bookstore are all struggling financially.

Once the Bookstore gets the “”late adoption”” from professors, they often have to back those same books that UA students sold to third parties, again, for a higher price.

Another part of the agreement is for professors to try to use the same textbook for four consecutive semesters. This would enable the bookstore to know with certainty that it will be needed again.

There are some departments that cannot keep such a promise.

“”Any subject that is new and constantly changing is going to need a new edition coming out all the time,”” said Amy Davis, a UA associate professor from the College of Nursing who signed the pledge.

Fitzgibbon hopes that professors stick to their statements and try to make a change.

“”It’s really just the tip of the iceberg,”” said Fitzgibbon. “”I’d like it if this could be carried on, and have more faculty members join the effort to turn in their textbook selections to the bookstore by the deadline.””