Bannister throws complete game shutout, Wildcats win 3-0 over Cal in series opener

Emily Gauci / Arizona Athletics
Arizona pitcher Nathan Bannister (35) throws a pitch during the first game against Stanford on Friday, April 15. Bannister was the clear MVP of the game, even thought this was his first time throwing a complete game.

The Arizona starting pitching staff came out strong again as Nathan Bannister threw a shutout and his second straight complete game in a 3-0 victory over Cal at Edwards Stadium.

Bannister allowed only three hits and struck out 11 Golden Bears. Cal wouldn’t be so lucky on the mound, finishing the game with five pitchers, who gave up three runs total.

After the game, Bannister moved to 5-1 on the season in 12 appearances and a 2.57 ERA. It is the most dominant ERA for all of the Wildcat starting pitchers.

Zach Gibbons was the hero on the hitting end, as he went 2-for-3 with two RBI’s.

The Wildcats would wind up tallying seven hits total in the game.

In what was the first game of a three game series against Cal, the Golden Bears appeared sheepish as the only ranked team out onto the field at No. 18.

Arizona and Cal will continue the series on ESPNU Saturday night. The first pitch will be thrown at 7 p.m.

Follow Matt Wall on Twitter