Staff Picks

UA vs. UCLA

Everybody remembers last year, the best moment in Arizona football history since the 1998 Holiday Bowl. Although 52-14 isn’t going to happen again (not that anyone thought it would the first time), don’t count the Wildcats out of this one. The defense has been fantastic, and with a little better execution, the offense could reach the mediocre level. That’ll be enough to give the Zona Zoo fan bus something to celebrate on the way home.

Arizona 13, UCLA 10

Michael Schwartz
    sports editor

I am simply not impressed with what I’ve seen from this Wildcat football team. It just seems to me that they have so many weapons, but it is not coming together. After falling to an average Washington team a week ago, the confidence level the Wildcats had when they stomped UCLA a year ago just isn’t there. I see them keeping it close in the first quarter, but look for the Bruins to take control.

UCLA 31, Arizona 16

Ari Wasserman
    sports writer

Whereas last year’s victory over the then-No. 7 Bruins raised expectations for the future, this year’s clash comes during a season filled with disappointment for the Wildcats. Although they called a players-only meeting this week to right the ship, I have seen enough this year and refuse to be hoodwinked by the lip-service again. Stoops’ boys will fall in Tinseltown, when the countdown until basketball season will officially begin.

UCLA 28, Arizona 13

Cameron Jones
    sports writer

California vs. Oregon

Expect a shootout in a battle between the top-two scoring offenses in the Pac-10, as they combine for almost 80 points per game. Both squads are loaded with offensive weapons and seem poised to jump to the top of the conference if the Trojans ever lose a conference game. Who will be there to take the top spot? Playing at home, I’ll take the Bears since the replay official from the Oregon-Oklahoma will be nowhere to be found.

California 41, Oregon 38

Michael Schwartz
    sports editor

After embarrassing the she-Devils last week in Tempe, Dennis Dixon and the Oregon Ducks looked good enough to now be considered an upper-echelon Pacific-10 Conference team. I mean, they looked really good. And not just delivery pizza good, I am talking about DiGiorno good. After Cal got whooped by Tennessee in Week 1, it was clear that the Golden Bears are pretenders, not contenders.

Oregon 31, California 23

Ari Wasserman
    sports writer

In a battle between the Pac-10’s two best teams not named USC, defense will be scarce as both offenses light up the scoreboard. Undefeated Oregon has arguably the best backfield in the nation, but Cal’s pretty loaded as well with Marshawn Lynch, so quarterback play will be the key. Even though Jeff Tedford’s QBs are always colossal busts on the next level, they are stars in college, so I look for Nate Longshore to lead Cal to the huge victory.

California 38, Oregon 28

Cameron Jones
    sports writer

Texas vs. Oklahoma University

Speaking of the instant replay game, who else felt bad for poor old Middle Tennessee State? With the Sooners fresh off that cheap loss, they got a visit from MTSU and promptly took them apart 59-0. I guess they made sure the refs didn’t impact that game, but it’s a whole different animal playing the national champs. If there’s anything worse for Oklahoma than getting screwed over in a game, it’s losing to Texas.

Texas 34, Oklahoma 24

Michael Schwartz
    sports editor

Yeah, they have Heisman hopeful Brady Quinn and pitcher/wide receiver Jeff Samathrowmetheball, or whatever his name is, but what they don’t have is seven wins in the last nine meetings. Those wins belong to the Spartans of Michigan State. After a thrilling overtime win for Michigan State last year, quarterback Drew Stanton and company will show off some of the same magic on their home field.

Michigan State 28, Notre Dame 27

Ari Wasserman
    sports writer

The Red River Shootout is almost always a classic, and this year shouldn’t be any different. Texas’ Colt McCoy has played well this year but has never experienced anything like the “”Shootout,”” so expect him to struggle in only his sixth game as a starter. Look for the Sooners to call stud running back Adrian Peterson’s number often, as he shredded the Longhorns as a freshman in 2004. Expect more of the same as the Sooners grind out a tough win.

Oklahoma 24, Texas 14

Cameron Jones
    sports writer

LSU vs. Florida

If there’s any team that can win in the Swamp, it’s the Tigers. They’ve already played in a hostile Southeastern Conference environment, falling 7-3 at No. 2 Auburn Sept. 16, and are the last team to win at Florida, as the Gators have taken 12 in a row since LSU’s victory in 2004. It won’t be easy, but the Tigers have the defense to slow down Chris Leak and the Gators. Just ask Mike Stoops and Co.

LSU 10, Florida 6

Michael Schwartz
    sports editor

LSU proved to everyone that they couldn’t handle the heat of playing away at a hostile stadium with its inability to move the ball at Auburn. And just in case you didn’t notice, they are traveling to the Swamp. Florida is coming off a huge victory at home against Alabama, and their momentum will carry through to this week. Look for the Gators to take an early 10-point lead and coast to victory.

Florida 19, LSU 11

Ari Wasserman
    sports writer

As any Arizona fan knows, LSU is good. Really good. Their offense is as efficient as a well-oiled machine, but where the Tigers really shine is on the other side of the ball (Just ask Tuitama how his head felt after taking on LSU’s D), where the Tigers rank first in the nation in total defense. Florida’s defense should keep the game close early but expect the Tigers’ physical play to wear the Gators down late.

LSU 17, Florida 9

Cameron Jones
    sports writer